The Voice

Image of Saint Lucian native Lisa-Monique Edward
Saint Lucian native Lisa-Monique Edward was the recipient of the 2019 Rossiter Award for Research Excellence from the University of Western Ontario

Thursday June 13th, St Lucian national Lisa-Monique Edward graduated from the University of Western Ontario, Canada. This ceremony marked her completion of a Bachelor of Medical Sciences degree with an Honours Specialization in Computational Biochemistry. On that day, Ms Edward was also presented with the 2019 Rossiter Award for Research Excellence. The Rossiter Award is one of the most prestigious awards conferred by the University’s Department of Biochemistry and recognizes one student annually for excellence in the Biochemistry Thesis Research Project.

Lisa-Monique’s research project was titled, “Application of a Novel Visualization Tool to Assess Diversity in Next-Generation Sequence Data”. In this project, she implemented a data visualization system in the R statistical programming language that enables users to view a concise summary of the genetic diversity in next-generation sequence (NGS) data sets. Her project supervisor, Dr. Art Poon, enthusiastically recalled that she, “…progressed through the development tasks much faster than [he] had anticipated and [he] soon needed to extend her project”. Therefore, to conclude her project, she went on to obtain Ugandan and Zimbabwean patients’ HIV-1 NGS data from collaborating research groups and analyzed those samples using her system.

These achievements come as no surprise, given Ms Edward’s extensive record of academic achievement which spans over a decade and includes national, regional and international awards.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Congratulations to her and thanks for sharing the wonderful news! A great example of high achievement in STEM (Science Tech, Engineering, Math) attained by a pannist. I always maintain that the steelpan is an excellent instrument for developing a strong math ability through music.

One question - can you clarify what/where exactly is the SJC Steel Pan Orchestra? I cannot seem to find it anywhere online. Much Thanks.

Edit: Ok, I think it is St. Joseph Convent Secondary School, St. Lucia.

• Congratulations young lady.

This reply was deleted.