French youth pannists visit TT

Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - Eight children from the band P’tit Pan of Nantes, France, flew into TT last Tuesday to learn the rudiments of pan, and also to familiarise themselves with the culture of this country.

They were the toast of a reception hosted by French Ambassador to TT Serge Lavroff and his wife Caroline at their home in St Clair on Thursday evening.

....Mokhtar El-Mokhtari, coach of the group, and who runs the Calyps’ Atlantik Pan School in France said the visit is part of the band’s project conceptualised some years ago. 

....At his pan school, he said the children are taught by teachers who have visited TT, learned the skill of pan playing and returned to France to impart their knowledge to them.

“For the last ten years we have been receiving TT artistes. We have worked with Duvone Stewart who is now famous, but when he was not famous, we were already working with him,” he said with a laugh.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What pisses me off is when THE LOCALS try to take CREDIT for the GLOBALIZATION OF PAN when in fact they have made VERY LITTLE CONTRIBUTION to the PROCESS even though they have RECEIVED HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS from THE GOVERNMENT under the pretext of being THE WORLD GOVERNING BODY OF PAN.

The truth is that THE CONCEPT of GLOBALIZING PAN is way beyond THE COMPREHENSION of PAN TRINBAGO and the STEELBAND MOVEMENT in TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO!!!

EXPATS are THE ONES who have TAKEN PAN GLOBAL!!!

• Do you have to go to BELGIUM to learn to play the SAXOPHONE?
    Do you have to go to ITALY to learn to play the PIANO?

LOCALS INHALING PAN when they are supposed to be EXHALING PAN!!!

This reply was deleted.