The Despers Junior Band performs at “Spring Into Music” Global - A steel orchestra and trumpet collaboration between Trinidad's Siparia Deltones and world-renowned Hugh Masekela has produced the album “Siparia to Soweto,” now set to launch in May 2014. This trans-Atlantic collaboration between the iconic South African trumpeter and the Petrotrin Siparia Deltones Steel Orchestra would first be showcased in a gala ceremony at the Hilton Hotel in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad on May 8th, to be followed on May 10th with a concert at the Siparia Deltones Pan Theater, Railway Road, Siparia, in south Trinidad. Collaborating on this project is Trinidad & Tobago's Ministry of Arts and Multiculturalism in the role of Executive Producer on the album.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a superb production! As the radio host of a weekly show on WHUR-FM in Washington DC I  interviewed Hugh Masakela on the anniversary of the Soweto uprisings. When he found out I was from Trinidad he shared with me this project with The Siparia Deltones Steel Orchestra and Carlton 'Zana" Alexander, FRom Siparia to Soweto. Little did I know that a cousin of mine would share the CD with me on a subsequent visit to Trinidad. I am so enthused about this project that I have shared it with my listening audience several times and am doing so again this Sunday on The Caribbean Experience radio show on WHUR-FM in Washington DC form 2am to 6am. We also stream on WHUR.COM. I will continue to share it as long as I am on the airways since it serves to bring the cultures of the diaspora together in a unique way.

John Blake

Host of The Caribbean Experience

WHUR-FM

96.3MHZ

Washington DC

• As I commented before... this is an epic occasion and I am hoping to attend. Probably one of the most significant events involving a local steel band in a long time. Nice one Zanda!

• Props to Deltones for being pro-active and doing something for themselves. I'm tired of hearing the same old, the usual complaints that X organization or Y sponsor isn't doing enough for steelbands... this is a great example of a steelband doing something for steelband.

• I agree,  props. to Deltones.

• Oh Wow,

The LEGENDARY, LIVING LEGEND Hugh Masekela records with a steel orchestra – way to go, Siparia Deltones!  This is a fantastic notch in your belt as a steel orchestra.  Hope the recording is good, and only wish one could be at that concert in Siparia’s Panyard to catch this collaboration play out live!  Much congrats, Zanda and Siparia!!  What a moment in the History of Pan!

• Yes wmlpan

This is a big deal. All of Trinidad should be celebrating. I am wondering why everyone is so quite.

bugs

• Well to some Siparia may as well be as far away as Soweto...

This reply was deleted.