Global - He is one of the central figures in the history of the steelpan instrument and art form. He was a legendary performer, musician, innovator and leader in the Golden age of Pan. In addition, he is a founding member of the champion North Stars Steel Orchestra of Trinidad and Tobago, BWIA Sun Jets / West Side Symphony, and the Johnston Fantastic Symphony Steel Orchestra of North America.

In a relatively short time, he experienced extraordinary success within the steelpan art form. When Steel Talks (WST) spotlights Herman Johnston as we revisit his 1985 interview with academic, journalist, historian, and cultural and music standout Doris Green.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Herman spoke of not mixing pan with conventional instruments, I am in agreement with him because we are not only promoting a "pan tone" but the sound of the steelband. 

• Rock, Bede, Mac and the rest of the West Side guys were known for their neat Afros back in the day, not one hair was outta place, they looked good.

• not a strand was out of place,

thanks cecil,

• I saw a lot of Rock backstage at Queen's Hall during the 1962 Music Festival when I had the good fortune to be playing with Metronomes (Romance) when we competed with North Stars (Voices of Spring).  You can read more: http://www.bestoftrinidad.com/steelband/johnston.html

• Thanks Ronald for the info

• Herman was responsible for tuning the pan called THE PIANO PAN I was in company with Jeffrey Pierre today he is also my cousin nick named Daddy Jeff here in New York . Herman won the music festival in 1964 playing ROSES FROM THE SOUTH . The band also placed third at panorama in1965 playing HOLD ON TO YOUR MAN sung by the late Aldwyn Roberts . The band also played STERING WHEEL that year which was a hit throughoutPORT OF SPAIN THAT YEAR 1965
      • yes I playe the echophone with the band that year, was a great year we played white indian,

• Knew Herman in T&T and later in Queens NY. Tuned our pans in NY. A very beautiful and generous human being who was always willing to impart his knowledge of anything. My son was the beneficiary of one of his pans, a three pan called an echophone, the sweetest sounding pan I've ever heard. His bass pans were of high tonal quality too.
    • So Patrick Ramdoo, you also knew Jeffrey Pierre "Jeffers", he use to play with  Rock and the Bwia Sunjets  and used to live in Brooklyn?

This reply was deleted.