- Carnival Development Committee (CDC) changes name of competition
- First prize raised from TT $350 to TT $1,000
* Trinidad & Tobago’s first ever “Steelband’s Panorama” held at Queen’s Park Savannah, Friday February 22nd
See More on the Pan History Timeline
- North Stars win this first Trinidad & Tobago Panorama with the tune Dan is The Man. The arranger is Anthony Williams.
- Participants include: North Stars, Sundowners, Desperadoes, Modern Sunland, Invaders, City Symphony, Casablanca, Starlift, San Juan All Stars, City Syncopators, Crossfire, Dixie Harps, Merrytones, Metronomes, Merry Stars, Nocturne, Prodigal Philharmonics, Renegades, Sputniks, Steel Stylers, Tropical Harmony, Wonderland (Port of Spain), Wonderland (Chaguanas)
- The prize monies were; $1,000, $500 and $250 respectively for the first three spots.
- The 10 finalist were DESPERADOES, CASABLANCA, CITY SYMPHONY, INVADERS, NORTH STARS, STARLIFT, SUNDOWNERS, SUNLAND, WONDERLAND, SAN JUAN ALL STARS
- Calypsonians try to gain advantage in Carnival Road March competition, accused of giving scores to steelbands
- April 11
- Government Aid for establishment of National Steelband
- Ellie Mannette chosen as tuner
- Grant not to exceed $1,500 for tuning
- Steelband Association establishes National Steelband and organize a steelband Festival; Crossfire wins Festival
- Wolfgang Krause of Germany films Ellie Mannette tuning, slips out of country on yacht, violates agreement with Steelband Association & Trinidad & Tobago government
- Moral Re-Armament (MRA) organization invites National Steelband to USA
- Police Steel Orchestra wins St. Vincent & the Grenadines Panorama for 2nd consecutive time - see more
- The formation of the first National Steel Band in Guyana in 1963. This band performed at various functions for the workers of Guyana, and (its services were) paid (for) by the state.
- Harmonites Steel Orchestra formed in Trinidad. The band Solo Harmonites has its genesis in 1963 when a group of teenagers from Egypt village, Second Caledonia, Barataria, Trinidad came together to form a steel band, which was originally known as Wonderland. Under the leadership of one Mr. Justin "Baba" Fredericks, the band endured a name change to “Harmonites” when it was discovered that there was another steel band by the name of Wonderland. Mr. Fredericks migrated shortly afterwards and the mantle of leadership fell to Mr. Winston “Skull” Fleming, captain and Mr. Vincent “Hueloy” Lila Yip Young as Manager. click for more