Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sofia Pugliano plays the steelpan, center, along with brothers Zosha Nowe, left, and Ziah Nowe, rightPennsylvania, USA - On the heels of a successful holiday party last month, Barrels to Beethoven — an organization co-founded by Leigh Solomon Pugliano and her husband, David Pugliano, that focuses on the preservation, education and innovation of the steelpan — is launching a new initiative: the Wilkinsburg Youth Steel Orchestra.

Fundraising currently is underway for this new orchestra, which was developed to provide a comprehensive steelpan music program for children living in Wilkinsburg and surrounding communities. The program will train a class of young people to be better musicians, creatives, collaborators and citizens by using a contextually underappreciated instrument and narrative.

The program will also follow the traditional steelpan culture in the Caribbean that allows young people to develop as musicians through performance ensembles as a means to preserve art and culture and build a sense of community.

....“The steelpan has had such a positive impact on my life and the lives of so of many youth around the world,” said Ms. Pugliano.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• To Keep the Steelpan music alive we have  to Teach the Children the Art of playing the Instrument!!!

• Follow the traditional culture in Trinidad and Tobago - I like.
This reply was deleted.