Think hard about this: Calypso is the first LP record album to sell over one million copies. In the history of AMERICAN MUSIC!!!

Trinidad Guardian (Nasser Khan) September 30th, 2018

Oc­to­ber was of­fi­cial­ly de­clared “Ca­lyp­so His­to­ry Month” in 2002 by TU­CO (Trin­ba­go Uni­fied Ca­lyp­so­ni­ans Or­gan­i­sa­tion). Start­ing to­mor­row, TU­CO will use this spe­cial month to fo­cus on a se­ries of cel­e­bra­to­ry events, in­clud­ing ex­hi­bi­tions and lec­tures aimed at ed­u­cat­ing the na­tion on the role that the ca­lyp­so art­form has played in the so­cial and po­lit­i­cal de­vel­op­ment of Trinidad and To­ba­go.

Read More

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• COOL
  • Supernatural Calypso - Shango, Shouter & Obeah playlist...

Calypso Jazz playlist...

• Hi forum, anyone knows what ever happened to all that pan music Holly Beteaudier used to promote at TTT during the 1970's? That would be pantastic if ever found.
  • Claude, permit me to ask if you are in Paradise at the moment!?? I would have liked to involve you in a ting ah trying to push, hence my reply-comment to you. Ayesha
    • realtyeyes@hotmail.com

• Calypso is PAN's Tanty! Good idea to discuss here. We have no Calypso Museum, we have no Pan Museum yet! We have not been able yet to make these cultural objects of our heritage profoundly respected.Who collects, organizes, and preserves the historical records of Calypso and PAN?
    • Ayesha: Yuh does ALWAYS come and HELP ME OUT!!! I appreciate that!!!

Claude (Ah doh sign meh name for everybody -- LOL!!!)

• Robert and Michael: In honour of CALYPSO MONTH I am going to put up TWO CALYPSOS that exemplify the DEPTH OF MESSAGING (complex social commentary embedded under popular word play and cliche) that could be compressed in CALYPSO.

• Food for thought:

Think about this, and "Pro" Panatics (TnT), and Pan Liberty(New York) brought it to my attention over the Labor Day weekend in New York.   Calypsoians are the only artists who were consistently producing a LP every year for decades.    It is possible that they have more music out there than many "Super Stars".     We have Super Stars among us and we are not really checking on them.

Check Sparrow, Kitch, Shadow to name only a few.    I am sure you can name more.

For some time Silver Stars was also putting out an LP every year.

• The local storehouse of recorded music is mind boggling. Add to all the calypsonians, the combos, the music orchestras and you will see what I mean. We could play totally local music on our radio stations for months.

Think about it.

This reply was deleted.