‘I love my pan’

Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - Seventy-two-year-old amputee Glendford Sobers who played the steelpan from a wheelchair, stole the show at the National Panorama 2014 Single Pan preliminaries at Guaracara Park in Marabella on Saturday night.

Sobers, whose New Age Trendsetters band hails from Chaguanas was the tenth band to perform before a panel of judges. They received thunderous applause from the audience. The grandfather of 29, had pan lovers on their feet as many edged closer to get a look at Sobers playing the steelpan seated in his wheelchair.

Last August, Sobers of Enterprise was diagnosed with diabetes and had his right foot amputated after hot water burnt his toe. Doctors were forced to cut off his toe which subsequently led to the amputation of his leg.
read entire article

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am both sad and happy. Sad to hear that Glendford has lost a leg to diabetes but very happy to hear that he is still alive.

I am not surprised that he is still playing though. You see, I played with Glendford in the Trinidad and Tobago National Steelband from its birth until the band was dissolved in 1967 so I had a good knowledge of his love for pan. The band went to Mackinac Island in 1963 and also did a tour of a few states. Then in 1965 we played in England, Scotland and Wales for the Commonwealth Arts Festival and followed up with a trip to Montreal, Canada for Expo '67. Glendford just loved every minute playing with so many pan men from different bands. An experience that I myself will always remember.

Unfortunately, living in Canada,I have lost track of most of the members of the band so I am unable to keep in touch with them. I will be in Trinidad for carnival this year and would be very happy if anyone could supply me with Glendford's phone number so that I could at least call him while I am down there.

Way to go Glendford. I really admire your love for pan.

Steve Regis

• it is God send so let's put it in it's right full place

• When yuh love it so and it call yuh must go, doh matter what . is ah jumbie.

• The Power of Steelband Music. Every day before we rise up from our Beds. We should all Praise Almighty God and Thank Him for The Blessed and Wonderful Gift of the Steel Band. Trinbagonian are So Blessed. Our Creator Most High choose us above all the other Countries of the World to give the Wonderful thing called Steel Pan/band. Give Thanks.
  • Beating Pan is a cure all!   "Grand father of 29, 72 years young and an amputee" is proof that beating pan is the answer to all of our problems!

This reply was deleted.