Was the 2018 Panorama the end of the Single Pan category? Pantrinbago responded by saying the NCC has not in any form taken over the running of Pantrinbago but the NCC Panorama 2019 schedule has no mention of the Single Pan category, Is this fake news or what? any way i am awaiting the official Panorama 2019 schedule from NCC or Pantrinbago or who ever is running Panorama 2019.I cannot wait to read Merrytonestothebone comments on this.!!!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Disseminated Tuesday August 21, 2018

Panorama 2019-21

1. Budget TTD20Mn for Panorama
    2. Separate subvention to PanTrinbago for annual admin costs circa 3MN based on gate revenue
    3. NCC manages gates
    4. Merger of Large and medium categories from 2019
    5. Two year transition for small bands:
      • All small finalists from 2019 automatically promoted
      • 2020 last year of Small band
    6. Pro-rated appearance fees and prize money among Large, Small and Single
    7. Payment to players the remit of the bands.  New prize structure allows graded incentive scheme from Qualifying to Semis
    8. Graded incentive scheme for players in Finals
    9. All bands qualify zonally on a pro-rated basis according to zonal participation the previous year
    10. New large band semi final of Wednesday before Carnival
    11. All Panorama competitions in 3 weeks leading up to Carnival beginning with Large panyard judging.
    12. Single pan judged Zonally on the road weekend after Savannah Party
    • Pantrinbago electons is over and done with. So i am now looking at 2019-2021 Panorama  disseminated Tuesday August 21, 2018  posted below. Will the new regime of Pantrinbago abide with this or is it set in stone with no changes to be made?

Panorama 2019-21

1. Budget TTD20Mn for Panorama
      2. Separate subvention to PanTrinbago for annual admin costs circa 3MN based on gate revenue
      3. NCC manages gates
      4. Merger of Large and medium categories from 2019
      5. Two year transition for small bands:
        • All small finalists from 2019 automatically promoted
        • 2020 last year of Small band
      6. Pro-rated appearance fees and prize money among Large, Small and Single
      7. Payment to players the remit of the bands.  New prize structure allows graded incentive scheme from Qualifying to Semis
      8. Graded incentive scheme for players in Finals
      9. All bands qualify zonally on a pro-rated basis according to zonal participation the previous year
      10. New large band semi final of Wednesday before Carnival
      11. All Panorama competitions in 3 weeks leading up to Carnival beginning with Large panyard judging.
      12. Single pan judged Zonally on the road weekend after Savannah Party 
      • Earl: The election talk eh done, boy!!! The POST-ELECTION DISCUSSION is in FULL SWING!!!

There should not be more than 100 STEELBANDS in TRINIDAD and they should ALL BE LARGE!!!

Forget that single, small and medium STUPIDNESS!!!

• Bugs...After all these years my only interest in Panorama is to make a lil money off arranging if I get the opportunity...Personally I have no interest in merging with any other band to do anything, worse yet if it is to form a 120 member band to win Panorama?....Not me brother...I have had enough drama over the years...

• I hear you.

• I would like to see panorama stop being some kind of work project for panists , and have it return to being a competition of the best of the best , and if that means having fewer categories , then so be it.

If the purpose of panorama is to spread the available funds around , then there are better ways of doing it.

An idea that quickly comes to mind is , while making the panorama more streamlined and efficient with fewer bands , some  funding could be diverted to provide other opportunities for those bands not participating in panorama to get paid.

One way that funding could be used is to encourage bands not participating in panorama to vie for better prizes on the road ; many bands have no hope of appearing in winners row in panorama in any case , and their participation in a street competition will enliven the carnival , and make some of us very happy.

• That is a good idea, Glenroy, to get PAN back on the road!!!

• Ah does always support all the EARL RICHARDS postings but when I saw this one I was real hesitant to engage. It is kind of wrong to sit down in ah OLD FOLKS HOME and say that YOUNG PEOPLE in Trinidad should be excluded from DEY OWN LOCAL PANORAMA TING. But instinctively I felt that once you reduced the PANORAMA to LARGE ONLY (the side of the bank that I am on) -- then BAND SIZE was going to become a MAJOR ISSUE in the discussion. And I really did not want to get into that!!!

I remember reading a POSTING by Glenroy Joseph expressing the SHEER POWER that emanates from the LARGE BAND -- what he inferred was the ULTIMATE PAN EXPERIENCE (my words) and I know that many PAN LOVERS reside in that CAMP. Hence the BIG 5 always pushing the envelope to get MORE MEN ON STAGE!!!

Of course, growing up in Trinidad you learn to appreciate from 1 to 130 players playing PAN. And living on the outside you hear so much three piece and four piece you develop a tolerance/appreciation.

But, ideally, I would CAP the LARGE BAND PANORAMA at 60 PLAYERS!!! Yet I know if that ever comes to a vote in the STEELBAND COMMUNITY -- 60 will go down in FLAMES to 120.

• Earl Richards: You cannot just put up these COMPLEX TOPICS and then leave them hanging. You have to come and WATER THE GARDEN.

Ah only have ONE FRIEND IN ENGLAND and I almost lost my FRIENDSHIP with her over THIS TOPIC.

So make sure that yuh come back and MONITOR and EXPATIATE!!!

• Earl,

I've not seen the 2019 schedule yet but the way that the Single Pans were treated this year, it would not surprise me at all if they were on their way out of the pan competitions.  If I recall, this year's Single Pans competition was over and done before preliminaries for the Medium and Large bands even took place.

Single pans is an integral part of Panorama so this is another case of pan disrespect from PT.

This reply was deleted.