Ian Franklin Will be a good fit for Pan Trinbago

Ian Franklin will be a very good fit for Pan Trinbago, (1) He is very knowledgeable about Steel band History, (2) If he is wrong about something he will admit his error, (3) He will go to the very end to find the truth, (4) and he will be an asset to Pan Trinbago. If Pan Trinbago wants to advance they need to hire GOOD PEOPLE, (ok, lets talk about it, pan family)

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• According to the Time Line Winston Spree Simon was contracted to teach pan at the University of Nigeria & Ghana. Does anyone know how this panned out?.

Hollis Clifton

• Rememder again, Bringing Mr Ian Franklin does not mean that all of Pan Trinbago problems will be fixed, but it will be much better than it is, and again Mr Franklin is not trying to take over or want to be the head of Pan Trinbago, he wants to share his expetise with them.I think some people are thinking that he want to be the head person, not at all, that is not want he wants.PAN FAMILY, would it be nice to hear some comments from Pan Trinbago? (maybe they don't have any balls if they have any, lol)
  • Pan Trinbago do not need a historian at the moment - what pan trinbago need's are people with knowledge with social media - per-per-view - recording and manufacturing of cd's and dvd's - internet marketing - as of today pantrinbago should let the world know of their product PANORAMA 2012

• Terry Samuel, I agree with you on the subjects of production, marketing and especially Pay-Per-View.

Every year I check my Pay-Per-View channels for Carnival and Panorama, but so far they've been no shows.

About ''the historian"comment, if that was a reference to Ian Franklin, I do not know him personally, but what I do know of Mr Franklin tells me that he would bring a lot more to the table than a just a knowledge of pan history.

• I agree with you Glenroy about the knowledge Mr Franklin brings. I don't know Ian personally, but I know his brother Clement, my pan tuner, and Clements son Odie who just arranged the panorama tune for Despers USA...They are clearly a pan family and understand the needs of the steelband fraternity..

• I whole heartedly agree. Many of the people at the top in the PanTrinbago administration DO NOT HAVE AN ACCURATE OR COMPREHENSIVE KNOWLEDGE OF PAN HISTORY.If you dont know where u coming from how the hell you will know where you going. The big lie about Spree needs to be corrected while the "man" Ellie is still alive   Dont wait till he is gone to say "we shoulda, or coulda". There needs to be correction to the lie. Also its time we established a repository of  the physical, written and folkloreric memorabilia of the History of Pan from 147 Tragarete Rd to the world  Obviously this would entail basically an interactive and physical museum.  Mention MUST also be made of the transitional medium of the 

Bamboo Tamboo and Iron bands that LED TO THE INVENTION/CREATION OF PAN AS A PLAYABLE INSTRUMENT.  I AM SURE IAN WILL DO A BETTER JOB THAN WHATS BEING DONE NOW.

paddy corea

• Well! Well! 

Bede thanks for stating the fact that I am not in anyway challenging "the powers that be" of         Pan Trinbago. My days of managing ended in 1994. I went on vacation and realized that there was more to life than work. I was not listening to my wife when she told me on many an ocassion, I am a "workaholic."            For the last 16 years, I merely worked to "put a food on the table."  I am now retired so I travel to and from T&T often. I would like to be part of Pan Trinbago for some of the the following reasons. Pan Trinbago is the head body for pan the world over, so their website should be mostly informative. There is a website in Switzerland, I would not mention its name.  But, the infomation on that foreign pan-website is so vast, it makes OURS' laughable.       I used OURS instead of Pan Trinbago, because we are all in this together. I saw that                                       Mr. Beverly Griffith was missing from said foriegn site's "lexicon," so I contacted them, e mailed info, and would you believe that Mr. Griffith's name was added on the same day.                                                                  That is the kind of expediency we need at Pan Trinbago.  Any business Headquaters must be infomation friendly, i.e, Accuracy and Customer Service are vital.As a past manager in the US, I still possess my expertise.  Thanks to all for the great kudos, but I have not officially applied for an appointment with Pan Trinbago.   

• Glenroy: just as a point of information, Patrick Arnold lived in the US for some time before he returned to TT (in 1996?) and became president of Pantrinbago. Maybe Pantrinbago needs a makeover. The management/leadership model may need some changes to allow, for example, for an advisory group made up of members of the pan fraternity who live abroad. It is clear to me that more work should be done in TT and abroad to secure future benefits for the people of TT from the international spread of pan. It is up to steelbands who are members of Pantrinbago to call for new leadership and direction for the steelband movement.

• Mr Nyomba, You are correct, Pantrinbago must see itself as an international body .

• Someone as accomplished and knowledgeable as Ian Franklin would definitely be an asset to Pan Trinbago, and to the steelband movement in T&T.
    His breath of experience, however is partly based on years spent away from Trinidad, and this may make him a difficult fit.

Culturally Trinidadians are reluctant to follow the leadership of anyone who've spent a majority of years abroad (unless you're named Dr Eric Williams) .
    I've lived away from T&T for many years and that attitude may have changed.
    But, I doubt it!
This reply was deleted.