INVADERS AND TOKYO STEELBAND CLASH

Do we have anybody on this Site that can relate to the Steelband Clash with Invaders and Tokyo (I think it was 1950) EG: like where you were at the time, what you saw? or what you hear from your Parents or your friends, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeyvpBznVnA

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dorrick: Here are the LYRICS to the song!!!

It was a BACCHANAL (Ahh Haaa)

1950 CARNIVAL (Ahh Haaa)

Fight FUH SO

With INVADERS and TOKYO

Meh friend ran and left his hat

When they hit him with ah baseball bat

NEVER ME AGAIN

To JUMP UP in a STEELBAND IN PORT OF SPAIN (AAAAAYYYYYEEEE)

Invaders beating sweet

Coming up Park Street

Tokyo -- coming down very slow

And friends when the TWO BAND CLASH

Mama Yo!!! If yuh see CUTLASH

NEVER ME AGAIN

To JUMP UP in a STEELBAND in PORT OF SPAIN (AAAAYYYYYYYEEEE)

Well the thing GET HOT

If yuh see men GET CUT

Lord Blakie

Run in ah house by a lady

Quite ON TOP the LADY BED

They PELT AH BOTTLE and BUS MEH HEAD

NEVER ME AGAIN

To JUMP UP in a STEELBAND in PORT OF SPAIN (AAAAYYYYYYYEEEE)

• Thanks, i guess Blakie was not yet part of San Juan all stars. Or, he was liming by himself. 

• Dorrick: THE CALYPSONIAN is a STORY TELLER who is not always BOUND TO THE TRUTH!!! He is an entertainer and he has to put on a show and dramatize events!!!

In PORTRAIT OF TRINIDAD Sniper sings: In calypso our stories are told/with this rhythm to touch your soul.

Notice that he did not say our "TRUTHS" are told.

Do you think that SCRUNTER was really standing by the GRAND STAND up in the savannah watching THE WOMAN ON THE BASS?

• I remember Blakie was interviewed once and asked how he knew about the clash.

His answer was simply

"Ah was dey"

• Pardon my ignorance. Blakie said, he run in ah woman house. That apparently, was the clash with Tokyo, and Invaders. If my memory serves me correctly, and i think it does, Blakie was from San Juan Allstars, how did he get in a fight between Invaders, and Tokyo ?     

• Dorrick: If you are really asking that question -- WITH A STRAIGHT FACE -- I can give you the answer.

• Ah guess you nut watching meh face ! ah doh remember the words ah the kaiso.

• BEDE this is just 4 U, to shed  light on the INVADERS / TOKYO CLASH, the Road March History from when Road March began in1950, 1950, IN A CALABASH sung by Mighty Killer, 1951, TINY TINY BLOW YOUR TRUMPET FOR ME sung by Mighty Killer, 1952, AH DOH WANT NO COCONUT WATER & POST POST ANOTHER LETTER FOR THELMA sungbyMighty Spitfire, 1953, MADELEINE OHY sung by Vivian Coma, 1954, STEEL BAND CLASH sung by Lord Blakie, 1955, HAPPY WANDERER sung by Skokiaan, 1956, JEAN & DINAH sung by Mighty Sparrow, 1957, CHICKEN CHEST sung by Lord Christo, 1958, PAY AS  YOU EARN sung by Mighty Sparrow, 1959, RUN THE GUNSLINGER sung by Lord Caruso, 1960, MAY MAY sung by Mighty Sparrow, 1961, ROYAL JAIL sung by Mighty Sparrow, 1962, MARIA sung by Lord Blakie, this should help if not, let me know...

• Pan on the Streets time has Passed.  The older Folks who wants the Pan but the Younger one are not supporting it. This is their time just as How Pan on the Streets were in Our Time. Do We really Believe that there will ever be a Carnival Day Exclusively for Pan. This Will never Happen. Young People Now are only Interested in Panorama. The only Way that we Can have a Day of Pan for Carnival is if We have Three [3] Days of Carnival. When We were Young that Could of Happened, but it cant Happen Now with this Young Generation who don't Love Pan as we did. Its Very Futile to Believe that it can be Done. I will surely Like to see it Happen again. In Our Time Steel bands had Six  6 or Seven Tunes to Play on the Streets  Musical Concert on the Streets. Nowadays its Two Tunes Panorama and Bomb Tune. Pans also Have to also Deal with Those Big Trucks With their Loud Noises. Jourvert Morning Pan used to Rule the Streets. That's History Now. Times has Changed. Its just Wishful Thinking.  I Love Pan like anyone of You, but The Difference is that I Call it as I See it. Peace & Love.

• So we abolish the steelband  on the road for carnival, lets see what we are left with, apart from the guilt and shame that come with the fact that we were not good stewards of it, we now have mega stage sides that perform once a year for 8-9 mins. how long do you think sponsors will support this. Steelbands cannot support themselves, so now we end up with a future filled with GLOOM. We HAVE to want more for the steelband.

This reply was deleted.