When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Do we have anybody on this Site that can relate to the Steelband Clash with Invaders and Tokyo (I think it was 1950) EG: like where you were at the time, what you saw? or what you hear from your Parents or your friends, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeyvpBznVnA

Views: 5811

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Teddy

A number of road marches were not recorded before being played on Carnival days.  Jean and Dinah was sung on Carnival Sunday night and was road march in 1956.  I do not remember a recording of 'Miss Tiny' (Oh no Mr. Fox yuh go mash up meh music box) before it was road march in those days.

Ronald Bartolo

This comes from Aubrey Christopher himself, we were great pals.Somehow Sparrow ended up recording Jean and Dinah. As a way to promote this new singer Aubrey and Bob Gittens sponsored a competition on radio, the winner getting a tidy sum. I'm not sure if anybody won.The point being made is that that calypso was on radio for some part of the carnival season.The other point to be made is that the time between recording and release of 78s in those day was one year, which means Sparrow recorded Jean and Dinah in 1955 the year he started his calypso career officially.To those who dont know Mr.Christopher was the man behind the  Kay record label. Kay being his daughter's name who actually won the Queen of the Bands on two occasions. To say that the first time Jean and Dinah was heard was on Dimanche Gras night is kinda far fetched.

Teddy Pinheiro.

label

A Lot of Folks Only Guessing. Time. -- Dates. -- Mas. -- Bands. Those Who Don't Really Know Should Stop Guessing and Stop Confusing The Facts. The Facts are their Hidden Between The Confusion. Who Have Eyes Let Them See.

I cyah remember the dates and ting. One ting ah know is doh. Yuh had to run,run and if yuh was wearing a t-shirt for any band dat was fighting.Take it off.  One thing I use to love and later admired,that should be highly rated of the pan players,is the fact that two bands would come along side each other.Playing two different songs two different melodies etc.  and each one trying to "DROWN OUT" the other. In no other musical situation in the world would you find such musical ability. Having said that though.That was always the boiling point,the starting point for the fights.The tensions were so high that the slightest,anything would trigger it off.  Ruuuunnnnn !!

Ade Obawole, if I remember correctly a lot of the so called "badjohns" back in the day were ironmen,  when two bands  passed one another  ironman  face ironman, so you are correct tensions were high, nuff men got buss head or buss face with a iron.

Yes my friend. Use to be frightening days on the road. Hence "The Road" by Kitch.

I was not born yet but hear about it

"Ziggily" talks about Steelband Clashes,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS_a7FQ16lU

Val , I have no problem with people giving their stories as they remember them ; we all get old and sometimes we get things a little confused . :)

From all these tales ,we will get a true picture of what really occurred , and this is important , since this is a part of pan history and I'm not aware of it being honestly  recorded anywhere.

And I'm always amused as to how  they try to "clean up" the images of people like Ellie Manette and Emanuel "Cobo Jack " Riley.

I used to hear about a badjohn panman called "Cobo Jack " long before I knew his name was  Emanuel Riley , and changing the nickname to plain "Jack" doesn't change the fact of it.

Many of the pan pioneers had to be tough guys to survive and thrive in the steelband element of the forties and fifties. Some of them could even be considered "badjohns"  , and it would be hypocritical to deny it

I agree, Glenroy ... both with getting confused in old age and with point that you had to be tough enough even to survive in those times.

Peter

Trevor thank you for your input,  if we get bits and pieces from everyone who was there we will finally get the picture. It took 66 books to write the bible and we are not divinely inspired. But I will bet my baby's food on what I said; Highlanders was in fact on charlotte street with the clash between despers and san juan all stars,I remember ripping the leg of my kahki colored pants on the spikes of the hospital  fence as I scaled it,they called those pants "sister boy because of the bow in the back.I remember the cafe opposite the hospital that had the best arape in town second only to Dolphy's on richmond street near strand theatre, I remember the name of the band decoteau arranged for  was All Aces in Bossierre near the grocery called Pick and Pay that was before Hilo came near the bergerac hotel.I cant honestly say about the tokyo clash cause I was about 10 and my mom wouldnt let me go to town alone but I was right in the middle of the despers one.The thing about drowning music,On carnival tuesday late fifties George baily won band of the year with my dad winning musical band of the year.  On park and frederick streets all stars band was going towards henry street and dad was going towards pembroke with only the reed section and the percussion  playing the iron men were drowning dad  with a   slow steady rythm and all the revellers from both bands danced to the steel band , then dad as a heroe lifted his arms toward the sky and the horns with men like Bonnell,oxley, Errol Ince,Boucou,Vasso Defreitas,Frankie Francis to name a few answered the call and they blasted the street with music getting back the tempo, it was a classic to hear the steelband ironmen jammin  the fastpaced trumpets call and trombone answer syncopation jam.  remember all the musicians were on foot...those were the days!!! Another good clash was between Cyril Diaz and Fitz Vaugh Bryan brass vs brass,sorry dad but I think Fitz won that one,couldnt say that while he was alive or I'd be looking for a home LOL

Sir, that is the way we need our History to be remembered and written. Bravo to you.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service