Irving Burgie attends the Broadway opening night performance for Beetlejuice at The Wintergarden in New York on 25 April, 2019

Harry Belafonte performs in 1977

BBC NEWS

US composer Irving Burgie, who helped to popularise Caribbean music with hit songs like Day-O, has died aged 95.

His death was confirmed by Barbados Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley, who called for a moment of silence for the man who wrote its national anthem.

Mr Burgie is best known for helping singer Harry Belafonte bring calypso music to the mainstream.

Read More

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was walking the streets of NEW ORLEANS one MARDI GRAS and I heard the MELODY of BIG BIG BAMBOO being played under the VOCALS of a NEW ORLEANS VOCALIST ... ah doh know if allyuh will get the point.

Allyuh think SONNY ROLLINS compose SAINT THOMAS?

Well, ah still doh know if allyuh will GET THE POINT!!!

• Louise Bennett - Day Dah Light

1954 Jamaican Folk Songs

• NO.....NO.... Irving Burgie ripped off Edric Connor's song caled Day Dah Light. This is a clear case of copyright infringement if there was  any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDf2tUyY5jw

• Day dah Light is actually an old Jamaican folk song..it predates both Burgie and Connor.

• Thanks for this correction. 

'Day O 'is considered an adaptation of Day Dah Light.  Similarly Irving Burgie has a play called " Ballads for Bimshire" . This play became " Ballad Caribe" after being adapted to a musical by yours truly.,and approved by Mr Burgie in person.

The production also directed by me was successfully presented to sold out audiences in Boston. I feel privileged to have collaborated with Mr Burgie.

May he rest in Peace.

This reply was deleted.