It saddens me to say this, after all the fight from both the local and international pan world, but after some results in the semi-final round of Panorama 2011, i cannot agree more. PANORAMA (JUDGING) IS KILLING PAN.

Firstly let me say that i didnt play with nor have afilliations with any particular band. I dont know, and i stand to be corrected, that there's any Judge in the Panorama competition that got a greater listening position, or has vastly greater academic or musical experience than many of the members or visitors of this WST website. I might go even further to compare them to the average visitor to the panyards.

To think that year after year, people expect and beg of Pan Trinbago to find the MOST Competent Panel of Judges, and i firmly believe this is one area that the organization unfortunately fails every single year.

In regards to the title of my discussion, after listening to every band LIVE and then seeing the results, there is no way the judges came even close to getting it right based on the CRITERIA. Even though the criteria itself is another topic for discussion, based on what we have to go by right now, something has gone terribly wrong with our judging system.

When 90% of listeners have commented on the poor tonal quality sound of a band like SILVER STARS, among other valid observations, how can they come out on top? It goes further into what growth can  be expected for pan by Panorama Competition??? NONE!! WHY?  When you have a competition that you cant expect to hear anything different from the previous years, and this is being rewarded with full marks, can we really ever expect growth??

I will leave it here for now and leave it up to the pan world to discuss. Let's wake up, be real, whether our band is on top or not, is this fair to the Artform???

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sir. I would like to hear your views on the winner of Panorama 2011 in the same context as your adjudication on Silver Stars. Thanks.
  • The younger generation will one day miss out On what would have been the greatest Local adjudicators assembled.

Boosie, Ray and Bradley. The best arrangement will definitely win. Too bad

• At the end of the day, in my profession as a producer i have learnt many things, but ONE i will never take for granted ever is:

GOOD OR BAD, IT FALLS ON YOU - THE PRODUCER. In this case it;s Pan Trinbago. If the show comes off great we praise them, if the Judges, patrons or security do crap, do you know who you blame?? THE PRODUCERS - PAN TRINBAGO. That;s the entertainment business.

We clearly miss leaders like the late great Rudolph Charles. Who would stand up for all the bands that cant or too afriad to stand for themselves.

I would like you to take a few minutes and look at the video attached and tell me if my DISCUSSION TITLE ISNT JUSTIFIED. When soca artistes and dj's are more prominent in the semi-final of the WORLD'S GREATEST STEELPAN EVENT, you want to argue that Panorama not killing pan.

When the judges penalizing bands for not starting when THIS VIDEO clearly shows the level of revelry and NOISE from the north stand and Pan Trinbago did nothing about it. No.. Panorama not killing pan.

Performers like KES could perform on a dj system, and the drummer in the band cant keep the timing because the rhythm section TOO LOUD.. No Panorama Not KILLING PAN... It KILL IT DEAD..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ3jbYjAgkk&feature=player_embedded

PAN TRINBAGO -THIS MESSAGE IS FOR YOU..  I JESTON LETT PLEDGE TO NEVER STOP UNTIL YOU CLEAN UP THE  INCOMPETENCE THAT YOU CONDONE... PANORAMA IS TOP OF THE AGENDA BUT THATS ONLY THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG..

• Hip Hip HOORAYYYY.

Thank you..

• CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!
    • After reading Dalton Narine's presentation at the Panorama Symposium, I am more convinced than ever that Gypsy was right (Panorama done kill pan) and that those who oppose Gypsy's view are coming from a position of political bias, self-aggrandizement, and cultural fixation.

De petition dead; panorama dead; leh we open we minds and sit down with Gypsy and draft up a new plan for pan.

• KEEPING THEM HONEST: " I am more convinced than ever that Gypsy was right (Panorama done kill pan) and that those who oppose Gypsy's view are coming from a position of political bias, self-aggrandizement, and cultural fixation. De petition dead; panorama dead; leh we open we minds and sit down with Gypsy and draft up a new plan for pan." Claude Gonzales. (Who is obviously coming from those "positions"? Gypsy supporter? Why? UNC, is because he is ah PP - Political Puppet?)

GHOST

• Claude, you know what is my problem with Panorama? Lets start from today. Sunday gone was Large, Small and Medium Semi-Finals the Week before were the Preliminaries for the 3 Classes. The week before that were the Single Bands Semi Finals. The Week before that were the Single Bands preliminaries.

What is the next event? I believe it's the Junior Panorama this Sunday followed by the Single and Small Finals next week Thursday  or so, followed by the National Finals for Large and medium Bands. Have you analyzed the Schedule? What do you think is common or should I say, noticeable?

There is definitely a big Gap between the Semis and the Finals. There is also a big Gap between the Semis of the Single Pan and their Finals. These Finals are kept so long after the Semis that a Bands can become complacent. Players can get bored' Most importantly, on the more negative side the Bands that do not make the Finals and to a greater degree, the Bands that did not make the Semis, are DEAD FOR THE MOMENT. Their Carnival is over. In some cases, good Bands. The communities from which these bands come , are also DEAD.

What are the plans for these Bands? Do they have the finance to continue practicing? Do they have an event to practice for? Are the players of these Bands believe that they are Losers? These are the Bands I am concerned about. without further participation in the Carnival, they go into Dormancy, most of them, and might start to prepare for Carnival 2K12.

We definitely need a good plan.

• Patrick, The "Dead Panyard" syndrome to me is one of the biggest negatives ot the Panorama as it it structured today, but is seldom mentioned because its effect is mostly felt by the smaller community .bands.

Once these bands do not advance to the next round of Panorama, the players become discouraged and the panyards shut down, and in most cases end all participation in the Carnival Festival until the next year Panorama.

This, I think, is a grevious loss for the Culture, the Carnival, and especially for the Steelbands concerned.
This reply was deleted.