When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Junior Pouchet of Silver Stars Steel Orchestra has passed

When Steel Talks extends condolences to the family and friends of Junior Pouchet founder of Silver Stars Steel Orchestra.

Related content:
Steelband Pioneer & Arranger Junior Pouchet Remembered: Eulogy

Views: 2322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From Pan Trinbago

Pan Trinbago Inc TC offers condolences to the family of Edgar “Junior” Pouchet, Silver Stars Steelband founder.

Junior, as he was fondly known, passed away in Orlando, Florida, USA, over the weekend.

A steelband pioneer and arranger of renown, Pouchet established the Silver Stars Steel Orchestra in the fifties. The band remains the only steelband to have won the Band of the Year title with the epic presentation ”Gulliver’s Travels” designed by Russell Charter.

With no formal training, Junior picked up most of his arranging skills by ear. Under his baton, the band scored several “Bombs” (classical music played up tempo on J’Ouvert morning) such as “Elizabethan Serenade”’ “ Salut D’Amor” and Lara’s Theme (Theme from Dr. Zhivago).

He also took Silver Stars to Disney World in Orlando where after 29 years, it still enjoys top billing.

Junior is the oldest of seven boys among them captain and present arranger Edwin and four girls. He leaves to mourn his wife, Yvonne and three (3) children.

The Executive, members and the Northern Region of Pan Trinbago remember this great steelband man.

Rest In Peace Junior.

From Dennis Awang...

I was with Junior and Sello at St. Mary's from the starting of Silver Stars and played with the band on the stage of Roxy theatre when it first appeared in the Music Festival in 1956. Junior and Selwyn Gomes were the greatest contributors to the band's early development. Junior will be fondly remembered and sorely missed.

My Condolences to Mr Pouchet's family. We have lost a Great Man..I had the wonderful opportunity to hang out with Junior about a month ago and he was looking good and healthy so when I got the call from Jackie Young that he had passed away I was shocked. My friend Jackie brought Junior over to a Gig I was doing at a French Morrocian Wine Bar called Le Rouge in Orlando and on my break I said  "Junior I'm always embarrased playing my syntesizer guitar Pan when there are real Pan players in the house." and Junior said "No Jeff that sounds good I was just telling Jackie that some of those lines you were playing there need to be in Panorama them fellas back home need some inspiration and thats the kind of runs they should be getting into." So we started talking about Bradley and some of the tricks I learned from Clive and also some ideas I had about having the bass play the melody and Junior said "You know that all those years that Jit win Panorama he never had the bass play any melody he always had the Bass keeping a strong foundation and

staying on the groove." It was a very enlightening conversation and I learned a lot because Mr.Pouchet was a natural

educater and Steel Pan and music was everything to him. We should consider building a statue monument for the Master

gone but not forgotten.Thank You Mr Junior Pouchet for all You have done! Peace and Blessings Jeff Medina

I heard that Junior was also one of the Arrangers for the National Steel Band in the 60s' along with Bobby Mohammed and Steve Regis . Junior was a True Pioneer and indeed a Pan Hero . Heroes never Die . Thanks .

And among other things, Junior Pouchet and Silver Stars put the "E" in Engine Room.   Godspeed, maestro.

My deepest condolence to the Pouchet family. Another great Steelband leader has passed on. May his soul rest in peace.

WEB.

Like Pat Bishop, Junior didn't get to see my film "Classical Steel" in which they are both featured. Like Pat he graciously granted me an interview, snippets of which contribute to a running commentary about classical music played on the pan. We shot Junior's interview in Silver Stars panyard. It was indeed an honour meeting this giant of a panman. He has left us, but his rich legacy lives on. Condolences to the Pouchet/Silver Stars family.

to a hero of  many and a great  soul- we will meet again

i guess he like so many will be honoured after death by our leaders

rip

u can  just imagine the great arrangers- pat - clive and jr looking down

peace

Condolences to the Pouchet family, Jr gone but can't be forgotten for his musical arrangements through the years.

Especially 1979 arrangement of "The SPIRIT" FOR TRINTOC INVADERS.

THAT YEAR WE HAD NO PANORAMA!

May you rest in Peace.

From Power Stars Steel Orchestra

On behalf of the management of Power Stars Steel Orchestra and by extension the St. James/Fort George community, please allow me to express our deepest regrets for the Pouchet family's beloved loss. I had the opportunity to interact with   the "MAESTRO" quite a few times through Mr. Hugh Borde of Tripoli. His demeanour was always cordial, professional and showing a general sense of concern in all pan folk, particularly those like Power Stars that lost their way, in assisting to getting us back on track. 
May the bereaved's family and members of Silver Stars Steel Orchestra, find comfort and solace in the great work which he did to allow orchestras like ours to make it. To the triumphant strains of this global cultural icon, onward to Vallaha, may Junior's soul eternally rest in peace.

Amen

In light of the recent passing of Edgar Pouchet Jr., founder, skillful arranger and former bandleader extraordinaire of the Silver Stars Steel Orchestra, I would like to suggest that a fitting tribute be made to honour his legacy by making available on this website, some of his notable contributions in pan music. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could upload the audio recordings of " Elizabethan Serenade, Salut d'Amour and Lara's Theme." The rendition of these musical pieces truly defined the signature style of music that Silver Stars was noted for, namely "dance-oriented music."

Edgar Pouchet Jr.'s invaluable and much admired contribution and ambassadorship in the promotion and preservation of pan music will be indelibly stamped on the minds of all pan lovers.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Pouchet family at this time.

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service