Many Steelbands in all categories enter Panorama and if they fail to move on to the next round pack up their instruments and wait for appearance and assistance to bands payments and you will not hear from them again until next Panorama. Why can the powers that be make it mandatory for all panorama finalists in all categories to make an appearance on the road Carnival Monday or Tuesday or face being discipline After all we want to see and hear PAN on the road on Carnival days and not Panorama alone. Steelband and Calypso is our culture and belongs in Carnival, Visitors come from all over the world to experience our culture, Expats are keeping our culture alive all over the world and the locals must do the same by KEEPING PAN IN CARNIVAL. 

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pan Trinbago can't even make rules to equitably run their pet event, Panorama…who gives them the right to tell Panmen what to do on Carnival Days?…I for one rather sit in front of my TV set and watch woman bottom shake than play pan for free in Port of Spain…I repeat the only way to ensure pan on the road for carnival is money. I'll tell you for free…it may even make more sense for small and single pan bands to hit the road for carnival days only…properly compensated…than to fight up with Panorama…at least on the road we guaranteed an audience…but we must be paid, no freeness…if I had to choose between the road and Panorama in that sense I will choose the road...

• That is a real good idea, except nobody will listen to it. But it makes the most sense in so many ways. Like smaller bands -- less instruments to transport and less players required to get the music going. And it fits into my BOTTOM UP approach to things. After a few years, BIG AND SMALL  might be back on the road for carnival.

Merrytones: last week I suggested to the NOSTALGIC BRIGADE that they contact one band in T&T and investigate the cost of bringing the band on the road for carnival and then they subsidize the effort from their elevated perches in FOREIGN. Now that you propose your small band on the road idea that could be a good starting point with ONE SMALL BAND.

• Claude, yuh have to thread carefully on dis carnival days playing on d road fuh money. It have big bands get contracted to play fuh Mas bands, wid half d money already paid in dey pocket, an aint turn up to play on carnival days eh! I am not saying that money would not solve the carnival day issue with steelbands, but all things are possible with todays steelbands and TRINIs in carnival.

Doh let we fool we self, steelbands today is NOT like longtime! AND YUH STILL CANT FORCE TRINI TO DO AH WUK ON CARNIVAL DAYS! Somebody post "Doh ask meh to wuk fuh carnival" by Kitch! odw whey yuh??

• Well, you heard it from d Grand Master!! True??

• Yes Bertel,  the Grand master also said , do ask me to Wuk for Carnival ... especially when them Steelband start to rock.

• Earl Richards…doh find ah farse, but yuh start off bad with this one by suggesting that Finalists in all categories must be mandated to play on the road…or face disciplinary action etc…Who tell you that these finalists will get the necessary player support after the Panorama competition period? In the first place the band of mercenaries that carry these bands through to Finals have no real interest in anything else but Panorama. They not coming back to learn no new music till next year.

The only bands that could appear on the road are bands that actually have membership and presently those are few and far between. Because Panorama has no rules and panmen can play with any band unchecked, young people no longer have the commitment to any one band. All bands have to be included in this pan-on-the-road affair. I believe it would make sense to offer a choice as it were, Panorama or the Road. Personally I would choose the Road over Panorama…once proper compensation is offered.

• Merrytonestothebone no harm done we needed your intelligent imput the things we use to do for free as steelband men and women in the old days are not free any more.  and as you said money is the answer, maybe it is.  BLESSINGS.

• I know what I speak of, and Kitch's calypso applies to ME and most of us that are addicted to the SPIRIT of carnival in Trini even now. Some time ago, PM Manning was contemplating closing all schools in the country for the carnival week. WHY?? Because of the low or no productivity in the country because of the celebrations. On carnival days, everything close, nothing happens! Arent Panman/women Trinis too?? Probably, this is one of the reasons that the DJ's are so popular too?? I dont know - maybe!?

• Earl Richards: Yuh start a topic (with great concern for PAN ON THE ROAD) and Mr. Merrytones just came up with the most brilliant ideas (expanding on your topic) to bring back PAN ON THE ROAD FOR CARNIVAL.

I would think that you and Cecil and Glenroy would grab his idea and try to implement it. Even though I DOH BELONG TO THE PAN NOSTALGIA BRIGADE and personally believe that societies evolve to suit their own resident populations (and not the needs of EXPATS RESIDING OUTSIDE) I really think that MERRYTONES made a great contribution even to the point of tempting me to get involved.

So time to turn TALK into ACTION.

This reply was deleted.