Replies

• Condolences to the family and friends on the passing of Mr. Kim Loy Wong. I was told that Kim should have been credited for introducing the "oval shaped inner" notes. It has been alleged that another tuner came to his facility in Harlem, NY circa 1970. 

• He is one of the great Pioneers, known to a few in Trinidad Hilanders, Mango Rose. Rest in peace.
  • Condolences to the family of Kim Loy Wong, RIP. Thanks for the music.
  • Dear Mr Michael Wong, please accept my deepest sympathies for the passing of your influential father. May he R.I.P.

The book:
    STEEL DRUMS
    How to play them and make them
    THE STEEL DRUMS OF KIM LOY WONG
    By Peter Seeger
    Oak Publications, 1964.
    About his works, has inspired many to try;
    and indeed was the influence that brought me into the Pan world.

Time moves on, but the spirit still lives.
    Be strong my brother; my thoughts are with you and your family.

Sincerely
    tobagojo

• Will see you on the other side KIM
  • Michael, you and your family have my condolences. So sad to hear this.
  • This is really sad news to learn of the passing of Kim Loy Wong. His legacy will live on as the first leader of Highlanders. We are keeping the Highlanders dream alive in Success Village, Laventille. The current leadership of Highlanders will seek to honour this great pioneer in a dignified manner for his contribution in taking the steel pan international. Condolences to his son Michael, and may his soul RIP.
  • Yet another pioneer goes to the other side. You made history ... a book with your name on it is stored in the Smithsonian Institute Archives along with the first ever video of you showing how to make a steelpan.

Rest well Kim Loy Wong.
    https://folkways.si.edu/kim-loy-wong/the-steel-drums-of/caribbean-m...
  • The original leader of Hilanders , and a true pioneer of the art- form.
    My condolences to his loved ones .
    May he rest in peace.
  • In mid seventies our group 'Block 5' was the first to use strings and steel (I stand corrected). Kim Loy Wong, Conrad Jordan and Elie Mannette used to "touch up" (term used then) our pans. So sorry he's gone.

Condolences to the family of KimLoy Wong. A  great guy who really loved the instrument.

This reply was deleted.