When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

IT IS TIME PANTRINBAGO INCLUDE FOREIGN MUSICIANS IN THE PANORAMA FINALS. AS THEY HAVE DONE IN THE MUSIC FESTIVALS. THIS WILL ELIMINATE JUDGES WHO HAVE THEIR OWN HOME TOWN BANDS AND ARRANGERS

They should stop throwing out the high and low scores and add everything together.

They have audio deficiencies in  their musical analysis of what is good music.  desperadoes music of Hammer Time is a musical  GEM and they by passed this for Jam.

Musician

Views: 2546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

not to be negative but remember Rudder introduced the band - did the judges add that time to Despers total and determine they went long?

I'm trying to understand why their score dropped so much form Semis.

Mistakes are one thing , bias is another, Despers played for 8:21, of which there's a grace period of 30 seconds, other bands had won panorama with songs within the 8:30 margin. To just disregard the band with this "end of story" talk after a performance like that, could be more on the bias side of things

Did you know that Renegades played 8:35

I have one question for the distinguish judges, what was the bases of their decision / judgement? I would love to see their comments. 2013 panorama is now history.

Good Points. The Music of Hammer Time did give way to the frenzy of Jam. I like Boogsie but this year's results should have been a tie -All Stars / Despers.

Stand-out tunes that will be long remembered from 2013 panorama - "More Love" - "Hammer Time" - "Sapna (The Dream)"

Totally agree, I am now very suspicious of these judges competence; (1) Do they even know the family of instruments that comprised the steel bands and there functions? (2) Do they understand what is motif, rhythmic and harmonic development? What are their musical background in arranging of any sort, can they compose a short melody and harmonize it  I challenge any or all of them in a debate to justify six bands in the panorama that followed these criterion more efficiently than Desderadoes. BRING ON THE DEBATE!

We will be back!

Foreign judges?? How 'bout Dr. Batson, Andy Narell, Ray Holman and Liam Teague? Yeah Foreign. 

Patrick, where does Andy Narell fit in here- he is not LOCAL. Although he may be considered a good player he is still missing that important navel string commonality of Dr. Batson, Ray and Liam.

Just a quick note, congratulations to Phase II, All Stars,Renagades. Based on observations, the judges were changed from 2012 for both medium and large categories. Everyone have their favorites, but it is what, what it is. Phase II enjoy your Panorama Champions 2013 title. 

Smart judges eh? Why do we always have to be so subjective in our interpretation? Let's for a moment go down memory lane. Remember 1990? That was not only the year of the attempted coup.  It was indeed, the year Fonclaire came to town with Professor's Pan By Storm. How do you think South people felt when "Pro's arrangement" had every one, judges et al, eating out of the Southerners hands. There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Fonclaire had copped the top prize. But as fate will have it the band lost by .5 points to Renegades.

Well there's an inquiry taking place, as we speak, about the events of that year. Should not the inquiry include the results of panorama too?  Just a thought.  Who is being judged the band or the arranger?  What's your take?

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service