4 Exodus 262
5 Renegades 254
6 Redemption Sound Setters 253
7 Fonclaire 250
7 Harmonites 250
7 Tropical Angel Harps 250
10 Invaders

10 Siparia Deltones 246

Click for full results in the 2012 Large Conventional Steel Orchestra Semi-Finals rounds

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was a member of one of the greatest steel orchestra's in Trinidad and Tobago BWIA Sunjets aka West Side Symphony the off shoot of the greatest ever  steel orchestra Pan Am North Stars and since 1963 to presently. I have missed only one  Panorama in Trinidad and I have been residing the U.S. since 1969, I have attended  Panorama's in the UK and most of the Panorama's in Brooklyn. For years now when I attend the finals, I get the fealings that I am in Queens Hall listening to a Jazz up Steel Band Classical Festival its no longer pan for the people most of the arrangers is in the same mode they are after the prize money, so what ever the judges want they give them and thats a symphonic arrangement their is no set criteria for judging. Pan is a part of Carnival most of the points should be awarded for the spirit of Carnival and also they should keep out the politics in Carnival. I still say no way Desperadoes should have been left out of the finals,

• Good day to all pan lovers. This is not a direct reply to anyone, simply "butting in" to offer my take. For a few years now I have been itching to documents my comments on panorama judging re despers, but I have been holding back as I do not want to be perceived as "sour grapes". What happened to despers this year has  been on the cards for a few years now. While one has to objective and accept judges' decisions even when they go against you, in other words you must be a gracious loser as well as winner, i.e as Brother Mudada said "when you lorse them judges ain't know a t'ing, buh when you win, dem judges know everyt'ing", at the same time one can look at trends. What I found difficult to accept were the low placings on "Band from Space" and "Ten Commandments of Pan" to name only two. Mr. Andre White has produced a masterpiece, perhaps not a winner, but a beautiful piece of music that kept the melody strong and relevant throughout and was a pleasure to listen to. 

Through your minds back to last year I believe Carnival Saturday when an arranger was interviewed and he gave his impression of the judges and of the judges' reaction to a particular band and lo and behold that same night that band placed very high. There appears to be a particular bias to a certain type of music that the judges favour   and woe beyond to any band that plays outside that zone. Some of you already hinted to it.

All I hope for now is that Desperadoes stay together, stay behind Andre White and do not stray from their brand of music

• I must agree with Trevor E. Cooper, in the early 80's I spoke out right about the judges that we pan people choose or are told by Pan Trinbago who will be the judges for panorama, Rudy Smith also commented on this issue and we do the same thing every year and then complain,all respect to them[ judges] they don't even have a music school or going around to the pan yards during the year to hear or listening to bands and see what is taking place there but when it comes to panorama we do the same thing and put them back to judge us, so if it takes Desperadoes out of the finals we look for that.

• Great job adjudicators, who delivered qualified, point blank, kudos, great arrangements.

• Now I'd bet if you go to the panyards of the bands that have been eliminated from the panorama, there's no Carnival spirit

.After all the focus and energy spent on Panorama, there's little left for the Carnival.

• for the judges who dont know music your heads are like stuff shrimps real shitty. despers should have gotten a place in the finals is it because they r from up the hill they didnt get place is still the number one band in the country.

• They  not from up d hill again and I feel that should be reversed

• There is a call for the retraining of Judges and a call for them to step out of their closed minds to judge music.To really know about judging music you have to know music so that when you hear new music you connect with a chord , the style etc but these judges here are so inadequate in their qualifications, thinking and style of music.What I fear is that they can lead to the demise of a band.Music is Music , and then there are styles of music and innovation in the same music but I think what we have here is safety in judging i.e.they know a boogsie,  they know a Robert Greenidge etc and for me I feel that sometimes it is the arranger on competition not the music of the band.

• Len Boogsie Sharpe, is a genius like Bradley ..Jit... Earl Rodney...Ray Holman..Tony Williams...Brian Lara..Russell Latapy...Boogsie Sharpe started playing the bass pans...so he has a clear understanding of the range and features of an entire steelpan orchestra. The judges have been unkind to Phase II, more than any other  modern steel orchestra/ arranger. During 2k10 I was able to acquire a CD of Phase II Panorama Finals performances ..played in the slow timing similar to the legendary "Woman on the Base"/ Curry Tobanca"..no one highlights this musical gift..The ancestral home of pan needs upgrading.

• There is a call for the retraining of Judges and a call for them to step out of their closed minds to judge music.To really know about judging music you have to know music so that when you hear new music you connect with a chord , the style etc but these judges here are so inadequate in their qualifications, thinking and style of music.What I fear is that they can lead to the demise of a band.Music is Music , and then there are styles of music and innovation in the same music but I think what we have here is safety in judging i.e.they know a boogsie,  they know a Robert Greenidge atc and for me I feel that sometimes it is the arranger on competition not the music of the band.

This reply was deleted.