Lord Superior (Andrew Marcano) has passed away

When Steel Talks extends condolences to the family and friends of calypsonian, Lord Superior,

LORD   SUPERIOR 
aka BROTHER SUPERIOR

DATE OF BIRTH:1938PLACE OF BIRTH:Rio Claro,
Trinidad
EDUCATION:(later)
CAREER:Frequently referred to as "Supie," Superior made his debut in 1954 at age 16 singing a hit song entitled "Coconut" at the Victory Calypso Tent in Port of Spain. In those days he was recognised as the youngest calypsonian to perform locally. He was considered to be the first calypsonian to produce a record on his own record label, the first to Perform at the Madison Square Gardens, in New York, USA, and the first to produce a full-length calypso musical. He retired from active competition in 1975 after winning the South title on two occasions and placing fourth in the Calypso King competition in Port-of-Spain. He travelled the globe frequently with the Lord Kitchener and Lord Melody while performing steadily for several years in the US Virgin Islands. Superior's calypsoes include:

• Spread Joy, San Fernando Carnival, Saga T'ing, We Want a Day, Standardise Pan, Cultural Assassination, Put the Women on Top, I Want to Be a Panman

AWARDS:

• 2015 - Trinidad & Tobago Humming Bird Medal Silver (for Calypso)
  • 2017 - Honorary Doctorate of Letters, University of the West Indies

DIED:November 24, 2018, in New York, USA, after a long illness. 

Compiled by Ronald C. Emrit

Check out - http://www.bestoftrinidad.com/calypso/superior.html

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Simply superior

LORD Superior was a pioneer in the calypso world who leaves behind a career that was as long as it was studded with significant firsts.

Born in a sleepy corner of Rio Claro in South Trinidad in 1938, Marcano made his debut in calypso at 16, singing a number called Coconut at the Victory Calypso Tent in Port of Spain. He went on to become one of the longest-standing and most vocal advocates for the art form in a career that spanned six decades.

According to the National Carnival Commission, Superior, who died on Saturday in New York, was the first calypsonian to produce his debut record under his own music label (La Carib, 1959); the first to perform at Madison Square Garden (1968); and the first to open a year-round calypso tent (Legion Hall, 1976). At one stage, he owned a radio station, Superior Radio, that was specifically dedicated to calypso 24 hours per day, having fought a battle to obtain a radio licence.

https://newsday.co.tt/2018/11/28/simply-superior/

• 46801551_2198989360134244_8906517657885343744_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=a3a16a056e88c882f9ced7fe11e1f155&oe=5CA3BCE8We were saddened to hear of the death of Andrew Marcano “Lord Superior”, and want to express our condolences to his family and the nation. 

Lord Superior’s contribution to the development of the Calypso Art Form spanned over 64 years, and he would surely be missed. 

The National Pan Fraternity joins with the nation in mourning the loss of this national icon.

Submitted by:
    Sandra Awai
    Public Relations Officer 

On behalf of the New Pan Trinbago Executive

• Vintage Unplugged Season 2 Episode 4- Lord Superior

• It is with a great sense of loss that I write these words. Over the past ten years Andrew Marcano had become  one of my closest friends in the music business. I always remember the late Dr. Pat Bishop calling me to ask if I would accompany Brother Superior for a small presentation she had undertaken in her duties at NCC, and I jumped at the opportunity. Suffice  to say, it was the start of our great friendship which culminated in my becoming the Director of his Vintage Band "Reflections", and our efforts to carry on the work of keeping alive the many splendid compositions of those calypsonians who had preceded him and offering a small stipend to those who were still alive and wanted the chance to sing again. Some of the shows done by the Vintage Brigade paid tribute to Spoiler, and Melody, and Regeneration Now were usually our opening act with their many renditions of past greats. Our plans were to pay tribute to Christo in the new season but alas the Good Lord has seen it fit to summon our friend to his eternal reward. May he rest in peace.

• Please accept my sincere condolences. Your efforts were important, perhaps this can stimulate a more comprehensive response from the Calypso fraternity.

• Condolences to family, friends and the Calypso community. Long live his name-Supie!

• Rest in peace my brother

• Lord Superior - White Man Wife

• CONDOLENCES.

• Leave the night on, would you?
    I see him coming down Kandahar Street strumming his guitar and enjoying a Ruso. It is midnight, so I hang out at the corner, waiting for him to finish off the night. Suppy was a cool brother who would stop and speak with you for a while, then walk home while still entertaining you in his head.
    Ah, Suppy, what a relief for friends like him, bringing up another Kaiso from deep in his heart.

Rest well, Bro. St. James will forever be remembered as your stage as well as our very own. For spiritual creatures that walk the earth, leave the night on, would you?
    Dalton Narine (From a St. James family)
This reply was deleted.