Trinidad Newsday

Nailah Blackman waves a Desperadoes flag as the band rehearses her song Iron Man, it's tune of choice for Panorama, at the panyard on the old government printery compound, Tragerete Road, Port of Spain last Thursday. PHOTO BY ROGER JACOB

Laventille’s pride Desperadoes Steel Orchestra will play Nailah Blackman’s Iron Love for this year’s Panorama..

...For veteran arranger Carlton “Zanda” Alexander, Iron Love gave him an opportunity to reconnect with the music of yesteryear – a period in which, he said, much attention was paid to the messages and nuances in songs.

“When I heard the song, I thought it was put together in a very interesting way because there was a song done by her (Nailah’s) grandfather and it is a good continuation of what he did. I am happy to know that it came from somebody whose roots I knew,” Alexander said.

He felt Iron Love, though ideally structured, also provided opportunities to explore his creativity.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The song Ras Shorty I sang some years ago was titled "Cory Iron" if my memory serves me right
  • It is truly ironic that THE BIGGEST STEELBAND which resided in the heart of PNM COUNTRY was run out because of CRIME. The same crime that was exported throughout the country!!!

• Good tune of choice

This reply was deleted.