“I am most proud about being the first female and youngest panist to win the Pan is Beautiful pan festival solo competition in 1992.”

“I am most saddened by the legacy of the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade which obscures our ability to remember our goodness and interrupt any mistreatment of our fraternity, music and instrument because of its association with the working class and with African people.” --- Chantal Esdelle

Although she is a scholar, an intellect and a deep thinker with many awards she remains humble. Indeed, it is her deep roots, knowledge of self and conscious awareness of who we are as a people amongst her vast accomplishments - that make her so special. She is a Trinidad and Tobago treasure.

In an exclusive interview with When Steel Talks - the panist, ethnomusicologist, musician composer, arranger and educator gives us an honest glimpse into who she is - her observations and concerns along with her love and unrestrained passion for the culture, history, steelpan instrument, its music, the art form and more.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• WST - “If you had the power to change something in Pan immediately what would that be?”

Chantal E. - “In Pan” describes so many things. For me I would focus on changing the economics of Carnival so that the people who produce the music, especially players, benefit more from the product. As it stands, service providers of everything from transport to pyrotechnics make more than the artists.”

Although she is a scholar, an intellect and a deep thinker with many awards she remains humble.  Indeed, it is her deep roots, knowledge of self and conscious awareness of who we are as a people amongst her vast accomplishments - that make her so special. She is a Trinidad and Tobago treasure.

Ella Andall - Rhythm of A People

• She is a true leader......Peace and love sister.

• An Impressive exponent of the instrument.  Indeed a treasure.

This reply was deleted.