An exclusive Von Martin interview with Mr. Curtis Pierre of Dixieland Steel Orchestra, one of the first 'college boy' steel orchestras in Trinidad and Tobago. Hear in his own words, Curtis Pierre's story, in Martin's interview.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This gave me goose pimples, Belmont and Belle Eau Road and Steelband,  His story helps to confirm the society was producing a collective identity. Thanks to Curtis and Von Martin.

• I was fortunate to be a member of  Dixieland  Steel Band under Curtis Pierre in 1954, 1955, 1956. In 1956 I migrated to the USA with my parents. I saw Curtis for the first tim since 1956 in 2005 at the Pizza Hut in St.James( Roxy Theatre). I enjoyed visiting with Curtis. When I was in the band we practice in Belmont. In 11956 were came on the road for Carnival Disguise as  Souix Indians.   The Dixie land experience was a beautiful time of my life. Sadly some of the members I know have passed away.  Curtis even battled Cancer.

Sincerely Charles Assevero

Plano, Texas     972 390 8843.    I am retired and enjoying  75 years. Note :- I was fortunhate to play on the road in Harlem in 1958 , it was called West Indian day parade which became Labor Day in Brooklyn, NY.  I have a picture fof Dixieland Steel band  taken after I left in 1956 on their way to Barbados. 

• It will be nice if you can post that 1956 Picture on this site, good memories for some of the old folks.

• well this was certainly a long over due interview with curtis pierre of the dixieland steel band. i was there in the early days of dixieland. with ken duval-delano decastro-lance and alan demontbrun. it was nice to hear your voice again curtis especially since you are not shouting at me.YOU BRING BACK GREAT MEMORIES FOR ME IN MY GOLDEN YEARS.my name is:

DAVE DECASTRO--THE CALYPSO BANDIT--CHECK ME OUT ON FACEBOOK.

"BANDIT"

• well i certainly loved that interview with curtis piere from the days of dixieland steelband-i was there in the early days with ken duval--delano decastro-lance and alan demontbrun--and i could give you some stories that will spin your head around.what great memories you bring back to me in my golden years.nice to hear your voice again curtis --this time you are not shouting at me.

my name is DAVID DECASTRO--THE CALYPSO BANDIT CHECK ME OUT ON FACEBOOK. "BANDIT"

• very insightful and informative interview.

Thank you for your contributions to our culture, Mr. Pierre.

• Fantastic interview Curtis. You may be among the best to work on the

development of a house of the history of the steel pan. I do not want to call it

an archives because archives conjure up the image of  museums where dust

and cobweb gather. Not so ,this house of history must develop with the steel

pan keeping each stage alongside the real in a dynamic type of mastery.

I think you can do it. Selwyn here, Ken's brother and Decca's brother-in-law.

• Check this people.  If self adulation was a virtue that dude "ghostman" would be sitting at the right hand of GOD.

Ah lie?

• Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end.....too much fighting for the power of what?? too much commercialization, $$$ and the like, who really is a true pannist?? its not the ones fighting for 'BIG' money but those who promote our culture as "born & developed, loved and nurtured in TRINIDAD." Please do not say, 'in the Caribbean,' nor do I want to hear the fantasies of how and where 'the new pan factories' of the world are now!!  Oh please, lets talk about the pan masters, who are teaching the faithful to play and continue to spread the word, 'Pan is me,' great job Curtis, to you and the masters of living & loving our "pan around the neck" to the big band sound!! For the great supporters and cultural awareness that our people are proud to demonstrate, D.D., we love & respect you for all you have done & continue to do for the 'human' side of the PANMAN (woman  on the bass!!) Has Anyone discovered the 'I' in team??!! do tell, Take care..........

• Very good interview, I am glad he mentioned that the Pan man need to be able to read music (sight read), being able to do this will make the Pan man more advance musically.

This reply was deleted.