Minister's Comments on Pan

The Minister of National Security declared on national TV that whether it is 1 or 3 steelbands, to him, it's the same NOISE.  He says he can't tell the difference.  It hurts when you know the sacrifices and hardwork that pannists undergo to produce good music.  To me that comment is serious and a heavy pounding for pan.  How come everybody is so silent?

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Claude boi! Ah see yuh gettin some pong. Ah go pass by Cecil in St. James tuh help yuh out! Lol.

• Well said Spiceman. Claude Gonzalse you seem like some kind of a wind up merchant out to get kicks. I would suggest anyone with sense just bypass any further comments made by Claude Gonzales as he seem more interested in making Friends with Minister Jack than Pan. Er.. I don't think our beloved Minister Jack is going to see your comments on here brother Claude. You may need to try other avenues. I am sure you will get to shake his hand over a glass of scotch one fine day. #jusayin
  • Oswald, check TV6 for the clip. Many heard what he said.

• it was on Monday or Tuesday and also a topic at our panyard, but really I don't see the need for the forum beating this when there are other things that need views expressed

• Gerard,I did check TV6 site and found no trace of this story

No one who heard the comment have ventured to quote Jack.

It also struck me as funny,that no steelband or Pantrinbago has taken issue to Jack's "pan is noise" comment  

• Spiceman (Emile Borde) you must write on this forum more often.

• Patrick, I will stick to my guns that there are "pan dotish" people out there. When you listen to their statements and descriptions/analysis of pan, you can tell that they need to be educated about the national instrument.I can fill this forum with many examples. You play a two note pan.How many  know the name or what it does and you would not like to hear their description(s) of other instruments,especially when foreigners ask about how pan instruments are made.I can tell you from my travels and my work involvement that MANY foreigners are more up to date and in tune than our very own. They are doing more research than our very own and we need to take this art form more seriously and not just a panorama thing.If my statement is hitting anyone hard then take the lash and wake up.I STAND BY IT!

• What surprised me about this discussion is that quite a few people seemed to agree that there is a lot of NOISE emanating from PAN that is passed of as MUSIC. I thought it was only me and Jack who was going to get hang.The "instruments" have a long way to go towards musical perfection; even Ellie Mannette said that. And so many sub-standard pans are hustled to the market place -- well, is more NOISE!!!

• It actually is very good to see who really uses while at the same time disrespects and undermines the efforts of our steel bands and future successes in the business of our culture and greatest contribution to the world's citizenship. It seems as though two faces are necessary to survive in T&T, so hopefully the real face will emerge at the right time from our leaders who at this point should be looking over their shoulders, or at least puking in privacy at what they have done to their own flesh and blood. I am fearlessly optimistic however that together we can aspire and achieve the blessings of our gift to the world, I was privileged to meet the legendary Neville Jules last night a man who was refused entry into the US based on looks, but now resides there, so things do change and true value will endure the test of time. After all our successes in the world today with steel drum music I was shocked to hear that some Asian negotiators were offering steel bands gigs abroad with no budget for the players, like the cruise lines I guess where they expect our players to work for the opportunity to travel as the actual payment,  meanwhile you are not allowed to socialize or network with the folks onboard etc, I can imagine networking in China with the cultural & language barriers. The respect and value for ourselves starts right here with our leaderships especially government whose attitude seems to be never mind the sinking ship we have dependable life rafts for the privilege. I am accepting my own responsibility  for the neglect of duties in my chosen profession ( steel band entertainment) and invite the rest of us to finally grasp for our children as well as legacy this final call to shine like we were blessed to by cleaning up our act and finding our best face regardless of our past failures.

May God continue to bless T&T as we find our willing and capable leadership that serves us all both here at home and abroad where our impact seems to have been more respected..

sincerely

Emile Borde

• Maybe everyone is silent because no one is surprised. He talks out of turn all the time. He is always in every ministry's business, everybody's business and pretends to know everything. At last we know there is at least one thing he knows nothing about and that is 'steelpan music', the indigenous music of Trinidad & Tobago. What a pity!!

This reply was deleted.