Mr. Valentine Young posted a "Sneaky Trick" question on September 6th, and I would have challenged him, saying, that never happened in panorama.

He fooled us, because of his semantics, and the answer was a band in the South Panorama. When we hear Panorama, our minds are focused on the National Finals, The Big Yard, The Savannah (lol)

So, this is my not so sneaky question: Name the only band to win the panorama finals performing at the number 1 position on TWO occasions.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Desmond Chase was a Member of the National Association of Steelbandsmen Headed By Mr. George Goddard. They Joined with the CDC in 1964 to Stage the Second Contest which was then Named "Panorama"
  • Mr. Steve Carter K. Your information about naming The Panorama is wrong. The Name was really Changed from The Best Road March Steel Band Competition to Panorama but the Person who coined that Phrase was Mr. Desmond Chase. At that time Ronald Williams was the Chairman of CDC and George Goddard was the President of Trinidad and and Tobago Steelband Steel band Association.
    • Do you know what year the name was changed to Panorama and who is Mr. Desmond Chase and what was his office ? I hope we'll get other opinions.

• Good topic Steve,

However, you should blog it to reach WST readers. (lol)

• GRJ I wonder if Scobee and the Guys of Southern Marines Steel Orch. are aware of the fact that they were the very first WINNERS of a Panorama Competition ever in the entire Universe for the South finals were held on Monday 18th February, 1963 and the National Finals on Friday 22nd February, 1963. This to me is Historic and it should be advertised for all to see at the Entrance to Southern Marines Pan Theater .

• Steve "Carter" K, Southern Marines Steel Orch, was the 1st Winners of a Panorama Competition in Trinidad & Tobago but not the entire Universe. The 1st ever Steelband Panorama winner in the entire Universe was in Antigua 1949 by Hell's Gates.

• Bede, the term " Panorama " as it relates to Pan was coined by Mr. Ronnie Williams who was the Chairman of the CDC ( Carnival Development Committee ) at that time. In 1963 the competition was entitled " The Best Road March Steelband Competition. In1964 the competition was a joint effort of the CDC and the National Association of Steelbandsmen and I believe it was from then that " Panorama" became the official name of this type of Pan Competition. The very first recording of Pan as an Instrument with different notes was in 1940 when Hell Yard SteelBand (changed after to Trinidad All Stars) accompanied the Roaring Lion in his Calypso "Lion Oh", so if Pan was BORN and BRED here I find it doubtful that the first Panorama was in Antigua in 1949 for I've read that Pan was taken to Antigua from Trinidad. In the past there were articles stating that Steelbands in Antigua were the first to record but again there's no recording to date before Hell Yard in 1940.

• Scobie would know , Steve . He was around in those days though he's younger than me :) , but there aren't too many of us around who would be aware the significance.

I'll remind him next time we speak .

I wasn't as Skinner Park that night , but it was broadcast on the radio , making that the first panorama broadcast.

To tell the difference in the times ,I remember the radio announcer made a big deal about two of our tenor players who , though small in stature were actually teenaged Karloff Alleyne and Randolph ( I've forgotten his last name ) who was the band's best tenor player at the time.

Incidentally , young Burch Kellman was also a lead tenor player at that time.

• As we are on the Topic of the very first Panorama , the National Finals were held on Friday 22nd February, 1963 at the Queens Park Savannah aka "De Big Yard". My Trivia Question is " When were the results of this Historic Competition made known to the Public, via which media and why was it done this way ?". It's not a trick question but actually what did happen.

• Thanks Val, Bede and Glenroy.  All this information are in my first Pan Book.

I think I will do what people have been suggesting to me for the last 6 years, "Market Your Book" Forget about we Triny Pan People. We want everything free. If anyone wants to aid me on a commission basis, I am all for that. By the way, I now have compiled & written 4 Pan Books.  Let me know if you all want some more teasers.

Shuchs, ah stil posin 1. The Lord Kitchener has 18 winning Panorama tunes; who is second with how many?

Love Peace and Pan

This reply was deleted.