Why are old tunes allowed in Panorama? Season too short? Poor reason. Good for one good for all.
How will it look if Exodus win with Gold. I have nothing against Exodus but I think it is not fair for a band to play a tune that has been played before and successfully at that. What if next year Invaders play Woman on the Bass? Where will it end? Is it OK for a calypsonian to put new lyrics to Progress or Portrait of Trinidad and be selected for the Calypso Monarch Finals? Exodus sounded great but I think it is not right to go backwards. It might be just opening the flood gates to more old tunes in Panorama.
How fair is it for Composers of new Calypsoes? Should they just call it a day.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't see any reason why old Calypsos should not be allowed in Panorama, the calypsos of today is nothing,  by playing back the old ones, it bring back memories, In the next 10 years how many of us will remember these Songs that are being composed now a days The Old Calypsos will always be remembered, They are sweeter with better Chord structure..

• I see nothing wrong with a band playing old calypsoes if they think that the current or "new" crop is not sufficiently challenging, tuneful or playable.  I do have a problem, however, if they play a tune they have already played.  In my mind that is not progress for the band or its players, regardless  of whether or not there are new players.

• Squid yuh right, WHEN YUH DEAD. All we hearing these days is....Penguin.

• Calvin! Point well taking but I for one think that you are all wet. I see nothing wrong in bands playing old songs/tunes, it's the arraingments that count. many of the old songs sound 100% better then the new ones. What a band plays should be up to the band members and if they are o'k with the decision, so be it. I would not care if a band played "Jean & Diana" a tune is a tune.Next you would want us to forget some of the pioneers who started the pan m

ovement. Where does it end?

• Where do your foolish remarks end??? Who would want anyone to forget the pioneers of the pan movement. Please let this be a healthy,intelligent discussion.

• Your points up to.. a tune is a tune.. is in keeping with many others earlier in these discussions The last suggestion about forgetting pioneers of the pan movement has no place in these discussions. Leave me out of it bro...

• I have no problems with the old songs. I do have a problem with an arranger playing a song that he arranged before especially if he is including passages already played in that arrangement exactly as he did in the new version. What if Boogsie gave Phase II the exact version of Wanted dead or Alive that he gave Jewel 22 or Ray gave Skiffle a similiar version of Pan on the Move?

• Where is the Third World music in Exodus' arrangement? I have listened to both extensively and haven't found anything so either it's extremely subtle or a figment of indignant imagination. I think people see "Gold" and "Pelham Goddard" and feel to raise hell. Where was this outrage when Fonclaire actually rehashed Pan By Storm two years ago? Or when other popular arrangers recycle their own music, or worse, that of others?

• noah that was not pan by storm. that was defosto paying homage to professor and fonclaire's pan by storm after 20 years of what most people whom heard the tune on that final night believed the judges got wrong. but besides that, i believe that the new music should be supported, before an arranger turns back the clock. the sad thing is that i spent so much money in the studio to produce this music,and if i could not arrange i would have to pay some one to arrange the music. i presented the bands via WST  ( CHIPS MELODY 2012 & CONTAGOUS 2013) which in my mind as a musician were excellent tunes with melodies catered for pan, in which no band chose to my amazement.  i was astonished that an arranger could listen to those pieces of music and pass on it.  i pondered bowing out of composing melodies catered for panorama,for this very reason. but instead it inspired me to write another tune titled they go play my music "WHEN AH DEAD" lookout for it in 2014.  but i must say i love the music of yesteryear as well seeing as that is what played in my house when i was a little boy.  and to all my fellow composers/arrangers dont give up!

• I know it wasn't Pan By Storm. The song was Raging Storm. The point is, it was clearly intended to reference the band/arranger's past work, which is what happened. So far I haven't heard any piece of Third World's Gold in the Exodus arrangement. So what's the problem?

P.S. I loved Chips Melody last year. That was a badddd tune!

This reply was deleted.