Online Panorama

Young members of the TNT and NY pan fraternity have collaborated in a venture to have the works of aspiring pan musicians showcased.

The guidelines for the competition can be found at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Online-Panorama/211570592187814

Call for submissions April 1st
Preliminary May 1st deadline/ advancers announced May 8th
Semi-Finals May 15th deadline/advancers announced May 22nd
Final Round June 1st (10) days of editing
Winner is announced June 8th

Forward any questions to online.rama@hotmail.com

The guideline for the competition are as follows:

--1-- Each participant is required to arrange a song from the list of 2011 panorama tunes on When Steel Talks/Pan on The Net. http://www.panonthenet.com/tnt/2011/tunes/contents.htm 2- The Arrangement must be 5-6 minutes in length and must contain a key change.

--2-- Each participant is required to score their arrangement and then convert it to an audio format (mp3, wav, etc.) to be posted on When Steel Talks. 

--3--The scores need to made available to the judges for review by email so they must also be converted to printable document format (.PDF) or Finale (.MUS) files. This is done to eliminate the differences in quality of sound Card that can disadvantage one arranger’s work over another without particularly assessing their skill level. Names must be left off of the scores and only the 6-digit code name (Diginame) must appear in the score to idenitify the arranger.
Scores/ Mp3’s are to be mailed to online.rama@hotmail.com

*** The judges- who's identity's will be made public- are not allowed in any form or fashion to duplicate or replicate the intellectual property of participating arrangers without expressed, written consent. ***

--4--Participant’s identity will remain unknown until the final round of the event. A special code system will be developed for the participants. *diginame*. Once your materials have been submitted, the diginame will be sent as a reply to the applicant.

--5--Judges will be given a period of 7 days (10 days for finals) in which to carefully listen to each arrangement and give their advice for improvement. Their services are volunteered and their identities will be made public as they post their scores for each participant.
During that 7-day period judges will be assessing the following:

-Reharmonization (10)- ability to re-structure the existing harmonies of the song in an original and creative matter.

-Melodic Development (10)- ability to re-structure the existing melodies of the song in different voices clearly and creatively.

-Use of Articulation (5)- as electronic representations of musicians, the score has to reflect that attention was paid towards specific articulation, volumes, accents and the attack passages. A well articulated score will illustrate an arranger that understands the nuances of the orchestra.

-Rhythmic nuance (10)- ability to develop rhythmic ideas as variations and episodes change.

-Playability (10)- whether the parts scored electronically can be played by actual panists.

-Use of pans (10)- how the arranger uses the ranges of the different instruments in the orchestra to craft their arrangement.
By this grading, each judge can award a maximum of 55 points to each arrangement. It is also required of the judges to comment with in favor or detriment of the points that they gave the particular arrangement.

--6--Judges comments will be posted for the final round.There will be two sets of round the preliminary round will eliminate the bottom 3rd. the semi-finals will eliminate the bottom Half and the final round will decide the winner. Points will remain cumulative from the semi-finals to the finals round.
Each round of submissions is followed by 7 days of review. Roughly the entire competition will last between 21 and 30 days. Judges are expected to follow their grading with commentary. For example, 5 out of 10 should contain specific note to weaknesses that removed those 5 points.

The identity of all of the judges will be announced in the period preceding the Preliminary Round. deadline.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• so what about the people who don't have the software to score their music . can somebody tell me where i might get this cause i really want to enter
    • Lol Renaldo I am getting the CD back on Thursday, I can pass by you right after and give you.
  • if I were to arrange a tune, why would I have to score it?
    • There are aspects of a digitalized realization that will not be properly captured. So it helps if the judges are able to see what you intended in order to not just listen to the mechanized performance. For instance, rolling and accented attacks in MIDI steelpan voice sounds unpleasant at times. Someone that arranges very lyrically would find it difficult be expressive through the machine ( to some degree )...

A simple amendment to the rules can be made to protect the intellectual property of the arranger.

• Not everyone has available a live orchestra to learn their music, so to keep the competition fair everyone has to score it and convert it to an audio format. Also, the judges can thoroughly assess your skills by viewing the score and listening to the audio. The scores are only for judging purposes, it will not be posted.
  • Will be accepting submissions between April 1st - April 30th. You can email your submissions or any questions to online.rama@hotmail.com. Don't let this opportunity pass for your talents to be recognized.
  • Great idea
This reply was deleted.