Othello

I first met Othello through my brother, the late Colin Clarke, at a rehearsal they held in South Miami.  Approximately 26 years later, I had the pleasure of hearing Othello at the Sun Trust Jazz Brunch in Fort Lauderdale, where he had a small but very appreciative audience.  Earlier this year I had the pleasure of hearing him again at the Blue Jean Blues Jazz Club in Fort Lauderdale where the response to his performance was truly fantastic.  It's a pity he is not recognised in his own country for the talent that he has.  But as the saying goes, "A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country."  I have since invited him to come and hear our six piece steel orchestra - "Karisma."  I know he is busy, but should he be able to come, I know we will benefit from his vast experience in whatever comments he wishes to make.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Othello Mollineaux and I go back to Trinidad. We are still constantly in touch. I live in Manhattan he in Florida. "Tello" played piano and acoustic bass. He attended Fatima college. If you haven't heard his earlier albums you should try and get it.  Ivory and Steel. This is with the Jamaican jazz pianist Monty Alexander. Also  check out his CD with Ahmad Jamal.

• Many of us do recognize Othello as a jazz great and a pan legend and personally, I do appreciate learning more about him.

Unlike most of the other pan greats mentioned on this forum, he was not , to my knowledge, directly associated with any major steelband, and as some has suggested, this may be the reason that his contributions have been relatively unheralded on this forum

I really appreciate learning about and recognizing our pan legends, and consider this education one of the most valuable services provided by this forum

• Glenroy, Tello had his own band back in the day Wonder Harps, he hung around Tripoli and played with Silver Stars j'ouvert morning, back then all the jazz boys used to do their ting in Silver Stars J'ouvert morning.

He also left T&T a long time ago, sometime in the 60s.

• Thanks for this discussion on this talented genius of our most blessed gift. The steel pan. I had the distinguish pleasure

of meeting Othello. When myself and drummer Tommy Nesbitt were invited to a function in honor  of talented

legendry singer. Joni Mitchell , at the home of Weather Report bass player. Jacko Pastorius. In 1977. At that

time Thello and pan tuner Leroy were launching a band, and wanted us to hear  what they were doing. It was magical.

We drove from New Jersey to Fort Lauderdale. The experience of meeting all those Celebrities at Jaco home and

seeing Othello wizardry on the pan, made our drive back to New Jersey a comfortable joy. Tello  thanks.

• Real "straight ahead" jazz heads have recognized the talent of "Tello", since the early 80s.  The man has always worked in that genre so most pan people would not be aware of his resume.  Never too late to learn.

• Indeed!! If you love real JAZZ and Steal Drum (Pan), please obtain some of "Tello's" contributions  to Steel Drum Jazz. See his bio at: 

http://othellomolineaux.com/bio.htm.

• Thanks for sharing this discussion,Valerie. I am sure other who childishly choose to avoid commenting on my discussions, are also thankful they can now join the "Othello" discussion. Your reference to that scripture in Mark, is also timely. To adapt what Bob Marley sung (if I may): They crucified George "Sonny" Goddard, sold Boogsie Sharpe for rice, and turned their backs on Othello. Now they trying to fight me down, but I stand firm and give "Jah" thanks and praises. Cause, I and I don't expect to be justified by the laws of Man...but TRUTH shall prove my innocency. (So Much Things To Say by Bob Marley.)

Ghost Who Knows Our Prophets Are Without Honor In Our Country. (And, that has to be reversed.)

• I saw and heard him play at Zanzibar in NYC. I knew he was good, but didn't know he was THAT good. I got the CD

from him that night. Couldn't let that pass. Anyone with info on the upcoming 'gig' in Trinidad on Sept 27th??

This reply was deleted.