Let me begin by admitting that I am no more than a student of steelband and pan history. Most of what I know is from research; the rest comes from recollection (from being around my dad as a child), and personal experience from being a member of two steelbands (Merrytones in Trinidad, and Tripoli in the US). And, many of the pioneers like Clifford Alexis, Hugh Borde, and Othello Molineaux, share MANY stories with me. (I am TRULY blessed!)

As a student, I choose to approach the study, by looking at as much of the evidence as I can gather before coming to a conclusion. It is no secret that the history is distorted (a reference to which I have made on numerous occasions). As such, I see it important to separate what cannot be doubted, from what can. I think that any history that does not validate gathered information, is prone to “falsifications”. We are fortunate that my dad did much of the research for us, whether you have the historical knowledge to accept that or not.

So, I am familiar with the many versions; as examples: Tanty Wille’s yard in Gonzales (Claude); “River Vine Cavali” from East Dry River (Yip Young); “Mussel-Rat” from the “Lime Grove” in Gonzales (Simmonds). Interestingly, three credible academic researchers, Dr. J. D. Elder, Sylvia Gonzales, and Pete Simon, all posit that the steelbands originated in Newtown, with the New Town Tamboo Bamboo Band, which became Alexander’s Ragtime Band. (My dad, by the way, was a member of that band, so I guess that qualifies him as an early steelband pioneer, regardless of the argument as to where steelbands originated. Again, I have a UNIQUE vantage point; many who are older than me, were not in steelbands in the late 1930’s to the early 1940’s.)

Tokyo pioneer, Anthony Rouff, also gave credit to Alexander’s Ragtime Band, although he stated that Spree Simon was the first to play a recognizable tune, “May Had A Little Lamb”. On that note, in a 1974 booklet, Steelband – Winston “Spree” Simon’s Story, Spree was quoted as saying that he did not know who first said “let us beat pan in place of bamboo”. (Jones, 1974) Noted attorney and former legal adviser to the steelbands association, Lennox Pierre, and calypsonian Rafael “Roaring Lion” De Leon, also both recall from personal involvement and memory that Alexander’s Ragtime Band was the first steelband on the scene. In fact, I would like anyone to produce a steelband song earlier than Lion’s 1940 calypso on the event. Lion shared this in a conversation with my dad, and was supported in an interview my dad held with Emile “Zola” Williams. Pan pioneer brothers, Victor “Totee” Wilson and Frederick “Mando” Wilson, also agree with an Alexander’s Ragtime Band/Newtown origin. (I know some may be hearing some of these names for the first time. Who knows the badjohns “Straight to Heaven”, and “Straight to Hell”? What about “the Admiral, Joe Crick”? I have some “history”, I will share later.) Finally, “Alexander” himself, Carlton “Lord Humbugger” Forde

I would encourage other “students” to seek out the various versions by all means, however, to discredit the information that I am sharing with you, without validation, is not the approach a “student” of any history should adopt. (Just my advice.) Those who are true students of steelband and pan history, KNOW the value of my dad’s research, and the consequential value that it gives my contributions to the subject (on “pan history”).

As one of George “Sonny” Goddard’s heirs, I have been blessed with having a vantage point that only a selected few have in the international steelband and pan fraternity. When it comes to the history of the instrument, my dad was one of the most-credible and sought after authorities. In fact, he was able to capture interviews with many steelband pioneers and stalwarts, during his government-appointed position to record the history of the steelbands. Among those he interviewed (some in the presence of Sr. Hollis “Chalkdust” Liverpool), are those previously mentioned. So, like my dad, after looking at all the evidence, and listening to all the “eye witnesses”, I have no other logical option, than to believe that the first steelband came from Newtown –Alexander’s Ragtime Band. Most of those who say that is came from somewhere else, when one looks at “conflict of interest” issues, you would notice that most have a vested interest in making their claims, and some have been known to say one thing, and 10, 20, or 30 years later, change their “pan tune”. TRUTH does not waver, does not contradict itself, and is usually supported and corroborated by evidence, including evidence which is tangible (such as newspaper reports). Anyway, that is my sharing of my research; hope it is helpful to someone. Have a safe, blessed evening.

George D. Goddard/Ghost. Same philosophy; different attitude.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Most panists would agree that George Goddard did a good job in protecting and promoting the interests of the panists and the steelband movement.  He got the government to recognize the political importance of the steelband movement.  That recognition brought the steelband movement some financial benefits, employment and political access.  Also, under his leadership most of the steelbands received sponsorship from local businesses.  But, after the leadership of George Goddard, the steelband movement became visionlessWhat evolved was stagnation and devolutionThe steelband movement did not improve beyond the gains of the 1960s and 1970s.  Instead, the steelband movement's influence decreased yearly as the Panorama competition consumed the movement.  Important steelbands like Casablanca, City Syncopators, City Symphony and Pandemonium disappeared.  Most importantly lacking was the absence of any definitive written history of the steelband movement or the early pioneer panists." Khalick J. Hewitt, The Longtime Steelband (Part II). 

http://www.basementrecordings.com/nap/brief/lngtimebnd.htm (Accessed on 01/24/2014.)

• Curious George, when did your father first realize the socio-politico power of the Steelpan Movement? Was there an epiphany or was it a evolved process which crystallized at some point?
  • ENGINE ROOM SECTION WITH NO STEELBAND OR PAN?: If Mr. Robert "Distinguished Historian" Saldenha loves pan as much as he claims, why does his website promote only soca and mas? Not ONE image of a steelband, a panman, or a pan on this website. NOTHING "pan-related", and only "soca in meh head". One would think that an advocate for the steelbands and pan, would have them on their website. So, rather than use the opportunity to promote steelband culture in Boston, Massachusetts, the owners of this website, joins those who continue to shun the steelbands, and only talk about them in the promotion of their own ego-based agendas. PROMOTE STEELBAND AND PAN!!!

In my opinion, if you LOVE pan, your website would reflect that emotion. By the looks of this website, it is obvious which aspects of our "Trini" culture continues to be promoted, and which aspect continues to be ignored. It is more "distinguished" to not only talk pan, but to live and breathe pan. With that said, this is an OPEN INVITATION, for Mr. Robert Saldenha, to attend the town hall meeting, and share his "interpretation" (to use his words) of the history of the steelbands. Mr. Hugh Borde, the unmentioned, unforgotten leader and pioneers, will be in attendance, and will be bringing other steelband pioneers to the event; those he hosts at his "lime" in Belmont, held the day before the town hall meeting. I am amazed that no one mentions the name, Hugh Borde, in their suggestions as to whom should be interviewed.

Mr. Hugh Borde is a WALKING ENCYCLOPEDIA on steelband history, and will be sharing some very important information about the history of the steelbands. As he told me, "I doh need no book!" You see, Mr. Borde does not have to build his "history" on heresy (This one told me that that one said that...) And, he will not mix up the names, nor the key players in the steelbands' association, under its three names. Mr. Saldenha, you keep referring to "Trinidad and Tobago Steel Orchestra Association", however, no such entity existed. Why build "history" on false information? GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! Then, come join us and share your research. Have NO fear, I will not be on any of the panel discussions, and they will not be as ego-based as the ones you all have here on WST.  

Engine Room Section (ERS) Website: http://web.archive.org/web/20080111120557/http://www.engineroomsect...

Ghost. Same philosophy; different attitude.

• Robert Saldenha, please correct your misinformation: "Since the publication of our newsletter, I came across a book on the Internet by George Goddard, one of the former Presidents of Pan Trinbago (when he was president it was called The National Association of Steelbands)." 

http://web.archive.org/web/20070808000421/http://pan-jumbie.com/sam... (Accessed on 1/22/14.)

NOT TRUE!!! There was NEVER any "National Association of Steelbands". And "when he was president", the association went through three names:

1. The STEELBANDS ASSOCIATION
    2. The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO STEELBANDSMEN or NATTS.
    3. PAN TRINBAGO

Please stop distorting the fact; even small "errors" affect the credibility of history. CORRECT YOUR ERRORS. Again, my dad was the ONLY LEADER/PRESIDENT OF ALL THREE ASSOCIATIONS, and never lead ANY organization by the name you posited. Certainly, a "distinguished historian" as yourself, understands the need to correct such misrepresentations of the FACTS!!! Thanks. Ghost. 

• Ghost Wha do you, boi?  What else could the man have meant? If you asked him nicely, he would surely have put in "Trinidad and Tobago"??!!? ...... Wha? "My dad" wuk for de Bajan Association of Steelband too???

Who is a "distinguished historian", then? Oh, ah forget!  Is "mydard" ennit? ;-)))

BTW, why was he AGAINST the 79 boycott? and, why did he resign soon after? Ah want to get mih facts straight!

Oh, Larddd! Ah jus read de last post yuh make......yuh definitely have a bad head, boi! Doh go dong dey with dat kinda head, pardner!......and, doh walk anywhere in town, with ring, and ting and ting, yuh know! Dey go take yuh, wedder yuh Black, White, or Green!

• Brain, again, a "distinguished historian" is one who gets their facts/story straight before publishing them, who makes the proper citations and references, and who does not make people assume he did work (interviews) that he did not. He or she would have not only known the correct names the association was under, but that Gerard Clarke was the PRO in 1979, and that my dad was not leader of just one, but ALL three, even if that "distinguished historian" did not know the right name. Hey, I am only a student, and I knew that, as I also know how to properly cite the sources of my quotations.

Again, his articles has "intellectual honesty" issues. I will explain in a discussion later. Anyway, bro, regardless of the hate environment that WST has become, I am not going to engage with you or anyone. Fact is, your "distinguished historian" is the one you ALL need to stop from using my dad's name (and book) as much as he has. Let him conduct his own interviews, and write his own book, independent of ANYTHING he learned from George "Sonny" Goddard's book. These "distinguished historians", without reference to my dad's works, would be groping in darkness, and they know that. So, while they continue to attempt to devalue those works, they have to RUN back to it. And they ALL know that! Again, my dad's 40-plus years of service is UNPARALLELED in steelband history, and the ONLY way to discredit that claim, is to produce EVIDENCE of ANYONE who did more for the Steelband Movement of Trinidad and Tobago. 

Why not ask Kim Johnson, what he told me before he wrote his "Illustration" book; that he wished he saw some of my writings, before he published it. Ask him. That would have been two George Goddard's in Kim Johnsons' book. Ask Angela Smith which "heir" of George "Sonny" Goddard her book, Steeldrums And Steelbands, referred to, and you will see that it is "yours truly". That''s two George Goddard's in her highly-acclaimed book. These two "distinguished historians" BOTH know my value!

Again, the government of Trinidad and Tobago knew who to go to, in capturing the history of steelbands of Trinidad and Tobago, and that is who they went to, until they realized that George "Sonny" Goddard would not become their political puppet like Rudolph Charles. And so, politics became more important than  steelband history. 

Those who were living and making (not talking and writing) the history know these facts, even if your recently-appointed "distinguished historian" does not. You see, unless Mr. Saldenha was a fly on the wall, I would continue to get my stories from those who were making the history (Hugh Borde, Othello Molineaux, etc.), while he can have the heresy and information that he has to retract. So, he made more than just one historical mistake in that one statement that "when he was president it was called The National Association of Steelbands". I must have different standards, as the "distinguished historians" I follow include Chiek Ante Diop, Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Josef ben-Jochannan, and others in that vein, who understand what it takes to be globally-accepted as "distinguished", as opposed to what qualifies for such superlatives in Trinidad and Tobago. Again, courage takes being willing to stand up, even if you stand alone, and obviously I have been alone for quite sometime on WST, and I still STAND! I am just as fed up with their using my dad's name and works, as you are of me doing so, but I have excuses: after all, he IS my dad, and I OWN the copyrights to his book.

Ghost. Same philosophy; different attitude. (And yes, I know some would rather me cuss, than talk about my dad, George "Sonny" Goddard. That's their problem; not mine.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citation

• Permalink Reply by Andre-Roger Dellevi yesterday

When the Ghost Who Talks has his say, I somehow sense his findings will reflect the due diligence and truth to emulate his father, George Goddard (the senior).  Just sayin'...

So shall it be said, so shall it be done...

• From what I have read, my understanding is that George "Sonny" Goddard led the 1979 Boycott of the Panorama competition.  If I am wrong, I stand corrected.  As for who leading the Big Crime Syndicates in T&T, Lord alone knows...

• The Ghost, I am sure Robert will make the necessary corrections, I noticed that most of his comments he usually leave himself open for correction, I also know that you usually get excited when you are on your point, but everything will be alright, you are on Point. (just trying to avoid you from getting too Excited) Peace

• Thanks for your concern, Bede. I am so cool and calculated at the moment, that I am surprising my own dang self ☺ While he is busy making corrections, he may also choose to make the proper citations and references to my dad's book, which includes the interviews, that, on reading Mr. Saldenha's article, can mislead the reader into thinking that he (Saldenha) conducted those interviews. Now he has people asking him to protect them, when they did not originate with him. (Hence the need for proper citations. I would think that EVERY "distinguished historian" would know that much! Amazing, what comes over as "journalism" in Trinidad and Tobago; most of these writers never even took one course on journalism. (Trinidad and its sloppy standards; and we wonder why the country going down. And it is, regardless of who fooling themselves. A society of lawlessness, racism and race-based politics and policies.)

On another note: tell me, if Syrians were living in Beetham, and Blacks were living in Goodwood Park, who do you think would be the "street criminals" and who would be the "white-collar criminals"? CRIME IS CRIME, and to see WST members (in their Queen Kamla, UNC fanaticism) pinning crime on Blacks and their poor neighbourhoods in Trinidad and Tobago, is insulting. I will defend BLACK PEPOLE IN TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO WITH MY LIFE!!!!!!! So, if I got murdered in Trinidad and Tobago during my visit, DO NOT be surprised! When "Big Money" decides "yuh shot call", you are essentially "marked for death".

Honestly, this trip has me concerned, for I know the "Powers That Be" that I face. These are NOT people to fool around with; they will gladly pay off someone, to bump the Ghost off, and really turn him into one (a ghost). I enter into this endeavor, with "fearless optimism"; that the Pan Trinbago cronies, do not "Dial M for Murder", but again, I really do not put it past them. I am ready to be a martyr for my steelband culture, and although I am concerned, I am going to be in Trinidad and Tobago for the town hall meeting. PERIOD! Get your hitmen ready, Pan Trinbago; I am willing to pay the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE!!!

Ghost. Same philosophy; different attitude.

This reply was deleted.