Pan in de Countryside —a success story

The Trinidad & Tobago Guardian

Kaizen Fuzun, with musical director Darren Sheppard at rightTrinidad & Tobago, W.I. - I beg to differ with the detractors who insist that Pan Trinbago is a dependent, cup-in-hand entity. On the contrary, these past few months I have observed up-close a body of passionate, hard-working, devoted men and women, focused on expanding and developing an indigenous art form and movement. I was privy to this insight by attending five of six editions of Pan in de Countryside, a series of Sunday, open air pan concerts, produced nationwide by Pan Trinbago, with assistance from the Tourism Development Company. The series premiered in March in Cedros and culminated last Sunday at the now popular Moruga Composite School, in Basse Terre, Moruga.
full story

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The "E" Pan mentioned is the Percussive Harmonic Instrument (PHI). Check our youtube channel for more videos of Darren Sheppard & Kaizen Fuzun Steel. www.youtube.com/user/phiteamvids

• It was a BEAUTIFUL Time .....Hope you'll remember Tobago AGAIN ......The Show In Parlatuvier was GREAT! I feel we need more than One show across here .....A Beautiful Joyous Event with Great Bands!Thanks to All! Peace and Love!

• Not only is this a positive series for the communities but also for a number of the steelbands who get recognition from it. If you run down the list in the article you see names like Nightingales, Westside, Melodians, Southern Marines, Brazil RX4, Old Tech etc. who often get overlooked in favor of those stagesides that get the majority of attention like All Stars, Renegades, Despers, etc. This provides year-round performance opportunities, if only a few, for a lot of bands...

Also props to Sheppy and Kaizen Fuzun. Never heard them before reading this article & looking them up.

This reply was deleted.