Pan Trinbago Holds Election of Officers on Sunday

Seventy three (73) persons have offered themselves to fill the ten (10) positions in Pan Trinbago’s Election of Officers on Sunday 28 October, 2018 at the East Mucurapo Secondary School, Mucurapo Road, St. James, from 12:30 pm.

Registration of delegates commences two hours earlier between the hours of 10:00 am and 12 noon.

All of the positions are up for grabs. The present incumbent President, Keith Diaz, is not seeking re-election.

In the line –up for the election of officers to the Central Executive are:-

President – Beverly Ramsey-Moore, Keron Valentine, Lawford Dupres, Robert Amar, Darren Sheppard, Keith Byer, Vernon P. Morancie and Thecla Forde- Rodriquez.

Vice President – Aquil Arrindell, Carlan Harewood, Kion Robinson and Peter Kanhai

Secretary – Denise Lucy Jeanne Hernandez, Cyllan Franklin, Robert Hernandez and Richard Forteau.

Asst. Secretary – Lauren Pierre, Marvin Edward and Travis Mulraine

Education Officer- Michael Dinchong, Khion De Las, Marcus Ash, and Maureen Clement

Public Relations Officer -  Sandra Awai, Fuad Abu Bakr, Salisha James and Michael Joseph

External Relations Officer –  Barry Mannette, Dane Gulston, Avis Bruce-Brown and Ian J. Clarke

Treasurer - Finbar Fletcher, Gerard Mendez, Kerriann Gormandy –Walters and Malcolm Gordon.

Trustees (2) - Keith Simpson, Andy Husband, Darwen Greenidge, Keith Paul, Oswald Alexander, Phillip Barker, Richard Gordon, Richard Smith, Roger Thomas, Ross Thomas and Trevor Reid.

“Only such members of the General Body that are in good financial standing may be eligible to any office of the Association” and “Any delegated member of a financial steelband or any outgoing Central Executive Committee member shall be eligible for election to any office of the Association.”

Members of the Central Executive shall hold office for a term of three (3) years.  Two (2) official delegates (financial) are eligible to participate in the proceedings and to exercise their voting powers.

The last election of Officers was held in October 2015.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Let's look at this election as a opportunity to FIX what's wrong and move forward. what's done is done, time to move on.
  • OK, so are we think that this election is free and fair? Who are these candidates, have they been thoroughly vetted? Would this just be more of the same. NATTS forerunner to Pan Trinbago in my opinion operated in a more transparent manner, and though in Pan's infancy did as much as they could do till the early 70's. Since Pan Trinbago ascent exactly what have we to show for their efforts? As an organization there's no real structure, seems like those in control act in a more waylay waylay type manner. We talk, brag, and rightly so of the creation and development of this magnificent instrument however we have to get serious going forward in how we administer and promote our unique invention. There must be real checks and balances, a clear vision to the future and plans put in place to assist bands especially with the encouragement of young people. The Education officer is essential in providing a historical outlook to members regarding pan's progression over the years. There are but very few Pan Pioneers still around like Mr Kenrick Thomas and others who could lend their experience and historical outlook to advance the cause of Pan..
    • Kweku,

"OK, so are we think that this election is free and fair?"

The elections would be free......the present Secretary who has been a candidate in numerous elections,have never seen it fit to recuse himself from the process.  

Article 10 (9.) The Secretary of the Association shall be responsible for the circulation to all members, member steelbands and affiliated associations of copies of the agenda of the Meeting and all nominations for election to vacant offices of the Association.

Who are these candidates, have they been thoroughly vetted?

Article 10

5. Only such members of the General Body as are in good financial standing may be eligible for election to any office of the Association.

6. No member of the General Body against whom there are pending disciplinary proceedings may be eligible for election to any office of the Association.

7. Any delegated member of a financial steelband or any out-going Central Executive Committee member shall be eligible for election to any office of the Association.

8. All persons seeking election to any office of the Association shall have their nominations supported by two (2) members in good financial standing with the Association on the prescribed form and shall submit their nominations to the Secretary of the Association no later then twenty-one (21) days prior to the date prescribed for the elections.

"NATTS forerunner to Pan Trinbago in my opinion operated in a more transparent manner, and though in Pan's infancy did as much as they could do till the early 70's."

The Constitution is basically the same as in the 70's,with a few amendments.

It's designed to encourage despots,especially if the membership is encouraged (by design) to be vibrant,only for Panorama.Mind you,this vibrancy was only focused on Grants and Competition Rules,inclusive of Prizes,Remittances.

The Executive keep all the other information to themselves,and the membership hardly ever questioned the Executive. On the morning of the AGM ( last Sunday in October,and a couple months before Panorama), members were given an auditor's report,and were told that it's vital to have the report pass,so as to get Panorama subventions........Bunji would say "Yuh don Kno"

"There must be real checks and balances, a clear vision to the future and plans put in place to assist bands especially with the encouragement of young people."

Totally agree these are imperatives.....Managing and securing, inflows and outflows is critical. Steelbands and their communities development is critical,not only to the music industry,but is most vital to the social fabric.

In Pan

• I have been observing the campaign for the various positions that to me is a first of its kind in the pan world. It seems to be a healthy and progressive exercise. At the same time, I wonder how many of the delegates who will participate in the voting on Sunday would have been advised by the membership of their respective bands membership who they should vote for. I have not heard any of the candidates address the situation of bands who may or may not have a functioning executive and as such all decisions are made by one person, who in most cases is the owner of the band, having been the founder or only existing person who was around originally. As long as this situation is not addressed properly, we would continue to have more of what now exist and have existed over the years.

Kwame - Concerned Pan Lover
    • Man, you hit the nail on the head. I know of a band, in which there is a non functioning executive. ALL decisions are made by one person, even though the band's Constitution says that the exec committee must make the decisions. Problem is, that person has the support of the majority. EOS. Nice contribution, Kwame.

• You summarized THE CRISIS, Kwame!!!

And NO STEPS have been taken to address the situation -- so we would continue to have more of what now exist and have existed over the years!!!

• Given the significant number of candidates contesting this very important election, which should serve to transition Pan Trinbago into a better managed organization, it is critical that all voting members have an opportunity to compare the "RESUME" of each candidate with each other contesting a specific position.

For example, voting members should have documentation, as provided by the candidates, which shows each candidate's qualification for the position being contested. The current Executive should move with haste in putting together documentation to be distributed to the attendees at Sunday's elections.

There is too much at stake, not having attendees fully apprised of the best qualified candidate for each position being contested.

Best wishes to all candidates!!

• .??

• This is T&T. Can you imagine delegates perusing the resumes of candidates to office in PT? I have already stated that the 'die is cast', voting done, minds already made up, money done pass(?).

I read resumes, I listened to all and only two candidates really impressed me, buh me eh no delegate, so it doesn't matter. If I remember correctly, one candidate said he eh taking no pay, so that is a half million (give or take) donation annually to PT.

Many of them eh worth the salt ah sprinkle on meh bake and shark.

• Mercer, there is nothing unusual about the "die is cast" before an election; pollsters provide this very valuable information all the time; even at country level.

What is of most importance is that the electorate makes well-informed decisions, based on relevant information available to all.

I am not sure your assertion that "money done pass" is public knowledge.

This reply was deleted.