Pan Trinbago says no to Exodus song change

LoopTT.com

Exodus would have to stick to their original song selection for the Panorama finals.

Pan Trinbago’s executive and the Panorama committee decided at a meeting this afternoon that the band would not be allowed to change its song.

Exodus announced...that they would be dropping Superblue’s Rag Storm for Kes the Band’s Savannah Grass. Arranger Pelham Goddard started teaching the band the new song on Wednesday  Tuesday night.

Speaking to Loop following the meeting, Pan Trinbago President Beverley Ramsey-Moore said even though the 2019 rules are silent on the change of song, it gives the executive and the Panorama committee the power to treat with any matters the rule is silent on.

Read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 100% correct. They select the judges, drive them around, make comments etc. It should stop.
  • Glenroy, I have heard these comments made by South and East bands more than thirty something plus years ago, and quite a few times I had to agree. Unfortunately whether it's the same song or a new song the "norm" would still apply. This doesn't say that North bands don't put in the time,it means the other variables are stacked in their favour.

We worked at topping a North Band by a minimum 10pts to be above them by a couple points.

"Some of the top bands are so powerful and popular , it is quite possible for them to make it past the prelims and semis with a relatively average performance.
    So it will be feasible for them to use one tune as a sort of "placeholder" , and retain their real tune as a sort of "bomb"."
  • odw

6.1 Music Selection – For the purposes of the competition, each participating steelband may select and perform any Calypso/Soca or Chutney, providing that: .... providing the band didn't perform the song before in a previous Panorama

I believe that words "MAY" and "ANY" would pointed too, and the fact that PT allowed Invaders to change their music in the last Music Festival would be used, if EXO goes to court.

9.f Speaks too the Title of the Calypso,the Composer and the Arranger names being on the banner.

N.B Music Festival rules are by and large carbon copies of Panorama rules, with the necessary "Festival" oriented changes made.

This matter should have been handled with more finesse, as there are members of other finalist bands on the executive who voted on this matter.

odw, I was imagining a Panorama where bands would have to play a different piece every round,and I am thinking how exciting that would be....but then I came down to earth, as I factored in the costs in money and time it would take to make that happen...I got an instant headache.

That would have to be a Virtual Panorama, 3 Songs per band. Music ever more.
  • Cecil you are correct.
  • I hate being a contrarian, but even if it was allowed in the past, the rule makes sense to me.
    Because it’s not just the band that got the judges nod in the preliminaries and semifinals, it was also the tune and the arrangement.
    Changing the tune obviously neutralizes the judges scores, and returns us to square one, since the new tune has not been graded.
    It’s almost like an entirely different band!
    How do we know that the new tune would have made it past prelims and semis ?
    Just because of the name of the band and arranger?
    Is that fair?
    And one more thing, it would complicate the judging even more, with more controversy, if multiple bands did it.
    And that is always a possibility in such a competition if doing so produced a winner.
    Allyuh know how we like to "follow fashion"
    I can certainly foresee such a situation.
    Some of the top bands are so powerful and popular , it is quite possible for them to make it past the prelims and semis with a relatively average performance.
    So it will be feasible for them to use one tune as a sort of "placeholder" , and retain their real tune as a sort of "bomb".
    It would be an entirely different competition.
    I think the rule is a good idea.
    • What rule? How do you enforce a rule that has not been written?

bug

• I hate being a contrarian, but even if it was allowed in the past, the rule makes sense to me.
    Because it’s not just the band that got the judges nod in the preliminaries and semifinals, it was also the tune and the arrangement.
    Changing the tune obviously neutralizes the judges scores, and returns us to square one, since the new tune has not been graded.
    It’s almost like an entirely different band!
    How do we know that the new tune would have made it past prelims and semis ?
    Just because of the name of the band and arranger?
    Is that fair?
    And one more thing, it would complicate the judging even more, with more controversy, if multiple bands did it.
    And that is always a possibility in such a competition if doing so produced a winner.
    Allyuh know how we like to "follow fashion"
    I can certainly foresee such a situation.
    Some of the top bands are so powerful and popular , it is quite possible for them to make it past the prelims and semis with a relatively average performance.
    So it will be feasible for them to use one tune as a sort of "placeholder" , and retain their real tune as a sort of "bomb".
  • Mr. alexander:
    that situation with Desperadoes was entirely different. One of the Judges had the selection as BOOGIE WOOGIE hence the reason for the court procedure. they never changed their tune
    • I am replying to everyones opinion for Bob (Crazy Theroulde):  until such time as when Pantrinbago is comprised of members that have no close ties or affiliation with any of the bands, and each leg of Panorama has a different set of judges. Prelim one set, semi final one set and final one set, there will never be a true and honest judging of all the members ,arrangers and composers and players and their music . There will always be one set of rules for those who rule and another set for the participants .

• Mr. alexander:
    that situation with Desperadoes was entirely different. One of the Judges had the selection as BOOGIE WOOGIE hence the reason for the court procedure. they never changed their tune
This reply was deleted.