Pan tuners fear the worst as drum dilemma worsens

Pan tuners fear the worst as drum dilemma worsens | The Trinidad Guardian

The nation's pan tuners are sounding the alarm that their livelihood is in jeopardy. Hundreds of pan tuners continue to be negatively affected by the continuing shortage of quality drums needed to produce instruments. The tuners complain that the situation has reached crisis proportions with skilled tuners and members of the pan fraternity saying there are now no drums to be had. An arrangement between Pan Trinbago and National Petroleum (NP), Sea Lots, in which NP supplied the orginsation with drums from its assembly plant, hit a snag recently due to the “breakdown” of a critical piece of equipment.
Pan tuner Bertrand “Butch” Kelman said he was appealing to the authorities to “hear the cries of the small man” and rectify the situation as he is now “out of work.”

Pan fraternity must stand on its own 
Manager of Pamberi Steel Orchestra, Nestor Sullivan, who described the situation as a “sad reflection on T&T” said Pan Trinbago should “stand on its own” and take more responsibility for the woes facing the industry.  Sullivan, said the government had “more important things to study about” and called on stakeholders to take matters into their own hands. He added, “We could import from Jamaica, Venezuela and North America. It's childish to go crying to the government for that issue. They have bigger issues to think about such as the Pan Headquarters, Panorama and Carnival. We are more than 50-years-old and can't be looking to our parents to buy something for us to eat every time we are hungry.”

click for full story

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What does PanTrinbago have to say about this???
    • Well said etc etc, more talking. Who has to get off their A and do something?

Wire had a plan, use the investment company. whoever can initiate this get cracking!!!!

• IT irritates me when you all dont know what is happening pantrinbago dont sit and collects money from the govt ,Pan Trinbago operates its buisness from the 10%they get from the prize money from Panorama the past Pres,PATRICK ARNOLD made it quite clear the State runs Carnival Panorama is part of Carnival ,we are employees of the state ,so i am now educating your good selves ,yes we Pan trinbago for which i was PRO should take some blame for the mess we in ,Panvesco is the investment company of Pantrinbago and they have the financies to make this drum problem solved.once and for all.
        • Thanks for that emphatic clarification, Milton.

Peter

• Glad to hear you speaking up, Wire.

Since PanTrinbago's only source of income is a percentage of the Panorama money, isn't it time that Pan Trinbago started looking for additional sources?

Investing in the lifeblood of the steelband, the drums, would certainly be a good place to start!

• I am truly astounded at the ineptitude of the leadership and lack of foresight of Pan Trinbago and others involved in the continued manifestation of PAN. Where do all this discussion of pan issues by the pan fraternity and sorority go? Is this merely for running our mouths off? Do the powers that be-pan trinbago, government et al read these and are guided by it? What type of advisory do the powers that be have? Or do they have any? All I have been seeing and hearing is crisis after crisis where people are stumped about how to resolve them. I do read some very useful comments, but what becomes of them, and why are they not discussed further and utilized? I am unemployed at present and would gladly accept an advisory position with Pan Trinbago or the government to rhelp rectify some of these solveable dilemmas. Pan Trinbago, Peters, if and when you read this contact I immediately at I e-mail address: rasrico@hotmail.com.
  • Well said Nester it is high time that  someone has the grit and mettle to come out and say that Pan Trinbago just collects money and does absoutely nothing to move pan forward , kudos to you Nester.

• The truth shall set you free,even though it isn't always what one wants to hear. It would  be nice ( a breath of fresh air ) if for once we can hear the authorities asking the pan fraternity what assistance can be offered. How about Pan Trinbago and tuners pooling their resources or even the tuners themselves getting together and importing their suff. It maybe an extra cost but then you will be independent not dependent. Therefore I must say I agree with Nestor.

Jah blessing to all.

• THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION IS SAD WE HAD A DRUM FACTORY IN T@T NAMELY VAN LEER ,AND THEY PACK UP AND LEFT,I THINK IT IS TIME TO GRAB THE BULL BY THE HORNS AND START IMPORTING OUR OWN DRUMS ,WE HAVE AN INVESTMENT COMPANY PANVESCO, SITTING WITH M ILLIONS LET THEM WORK FOR US BY DOING WHAT MUST DO ,INVEST IN THE DRUM BUISNESS.                                                                                                                         WIRE .  H.B.M.
      • Or maybe even a private group of tuners themselves could undertake to import 100 drums from the UK, US or Japan.

Peter

This reply was deleted.