Replies

• Showing money and paying money is a big different.

They talking money but let see if they pay that money

• Ah KINDAH OLD!!!

But ah going back to ENGLISH LANGUAGE SCHOOL and see if I could construct a sentence like this one: (And I want the author to give me THE RIGHTS to use this clause in the future):"... leaving the players with the equivalent of a pack of nuts (no salt)."

"This would ensure that those unscrupulous / thieving / ego-maniacal people be they arrangers or band captains or whomever cannot take the lion share of the prize money leaving the players with the equivalent of a pack of nuts (no salt)."

• Gonzales I keep asking you if you ever run a steelband and you never answer which I think is no, try running one and I’m sure you will be a less critical human being 

• You don’t have to be a painter to see a missing spot.

• Okay, I will answer you: I NEVER SO RUN NO STEELBAND ... which you knew already.

MY ISSUE IS PAN PROGRESS ... and from where I sit, all the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS that are PUMPED INTO PAN (and have been PUMPED INTO PAN) should yield some fruit.

But I respect YOU because yuh RESPECTFUL and yuh doh CUSS AND TING.

However, why don't you come up and PUT UP A TOPIC ONE DAY?

• Oh, oh!

• Here's a suggestion:  Employ a system that ensures that every player receives a minimum prize for competitions and an hourly salary for practice.    

For example how about if each pannist in the last place band will get a minimum of $6,000.  The prize amount would increase the higher their in accordance with their band's success.  Each pannist would receive and hourly wage of eg. $30 per hour.  There would be a way to monitor attendance and dedication just like a proper job. 

This would ensure that those unscrupulous / thieving / ego-maniacal people be they arrangers or band captains or whomever cannot take the lion share of the prize money leaving the players with the equivalent of a pack of nuts (no salt).    

How can a country thank or truly compensate the people who helped to provide, create and contribute to it's culture? 

Awards are nice, no doubt.  The fact is that the ideal situation is that:

1.  There is significant financial compensation from the state/government 

2.  Organized nationwide education  from the primary school level right through to the university level about of the creators and contributors to the pan, calypso, soca, limbo, parang and everything about the culture. 

Wouldn't it be great if being a pan player was a financially rewarding full time employment?  The New York Philharmonic orchestra players are full time staff who are (to my knowledge) receive wages. 

Wouldn't it be great if the steel ban fraternity could be like the sportsmen and women in the NFL or the NBA where they get a salary and when they go to the playoffs they get a bonus? 

The question is "Why not?"  How can other countries and artistic genres can accomplish this and to date Trinibago is still quarrelling and debating about $$$$ ??   Don't we value the people who provide our culture?  If so, what are they worth to the country?  

Wouldn't it be great if players from the way back in history or their surviving families could get minimum $150,000 award as a thank you?   

Imagine if all the the players and innovators of the steelband, calypso, soca, parang and limbo were to receive a cheque of $200,000 plus a salary and be guaranteed a pension.   

Imagine being a person who has dedicated her or his life to our culture and you know that you are appreciated, not just with words, but with literal life support i.e. money, support and recognition.

That is a beautiful thought.  Pray that it becomes a reality.   

• Yea Wopan

This where is where the focus should be,, but Pan Tribago represents the bands not the players. There must be an organization that represents the players before this can happen.

bugs

• I commend you for thinking through this process, well-thought-out, one has to take into consideration cultural dynamics at play.

Wouldn't it be great if being a pan player was a financially rewarding full-time employment? The New York Philharmonic orchestra players are full-time staff who are (to my knowledge) receive wages.

The REALITY is The New York Philharmonic Orchestral Players are part of a Musicians Union.

Here's another example of the challenges the bands face from an administrative standpoint..

.Credit Russell Providence on Monday

PANORAMA RULES & REGULATIONS 2020 | Prizes - Trinidad & Tobago

Posted by Pan Times on October 28, 2019, at 7:09 am in Panorama

https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topics/panorama-rules-regulat...

• Robert Saldenha, I agree.

This reply was deleted.