Panorama arrangers getting lazy?

EDDIE HOLDER

FIRST OF ALL, let me state my credentials. I was a stageside member of Desperadoes from 1980 to1991, during which time I performed at all 12 Panorama competitions. I also participated in two Musical Festivals – 1986 and 88.

So even if I’m not now participating, I’m following because, to me, Panorama is the greatest musical extravaganza on Earth. Where in the world can you find so many bands in a truly indigenous music festival?

The instruments are made by Trinidadians-Tobagonians, the music composed and arranged by Trinidadians-Tobagonians, and performed for the most part by Trinidadians-Tobagonians. All ingredients/components are Trinidadian-Tobagonian. Isn’t that fascinating?

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/03/07/panorama-arrangers-getting-lazy/

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  PANTRINBAGO, it's time to change the Panorama Judges! most of them are  Judging the Panorama for the past 40 yrs,  this is not an EXAGGERATION. its a fact, the GENERATION of pan players, ARRANGERS,  TUNERS AND  PRESIDENTS have CHANGED over the years  THE PANORAMA JUDGES remained the same, TIME FOR A TOTAL CHANCE OF ALL THE CURRENT JUDGES...............peace!

• Why are we changing the judges? Because we don't like the results?

bugs

• ONE MAN have all the PAN CHAT SITES in AN UPROAR this morning. How dare he critique the MYSTICAL PANORAMA?

One commentator even VEX with NEWSDAY for even publishing the article.

Needless to say: EDDIE HOLDER MADE MY DAY!!!

• Personally , I was extremely impressed by the arrangers creativity in making enjoyable and entertaining panorama pieces from those soca hits which , though quite enjoyable and great party music, were not really created with the steelband in mind.

• This is why I think we will see more musical references. For the most part these soca selections' thematic strength is in their lyrics and not the music, so instead of just riffing on the limited music you riff on the lyrical theme and use it to tell a story. It's not laziness; on the contrary, it's simply another way to work with what you're given...

• Trust meh Glenroy...A lot of thought usually goes into selecting a musical "quote" in a Panorama tune...Many years ago Ray Holman quoted Stevie Wonder's pentatonic line from Sir Duke... (I can't remember the tune he did it in though) Not a fuss was made...It was considered a "stroke of genius"...

• when they lose, and unhappy that is what happen,

• THE GREATEST PANORAMA in HISTORY with THE GREATEST ARRANGERS IN THE PANORAMA WORLD just ended and PAN LOVERS could NOT BE HAPPIER.

So how could Mr. Eddie Holder find fault with the performances and even associate the word "LAZY" with these MUSICAL GENIUSES?

But of course few on THIS FORUM would be surprised to know that I like the part when he asked this question: "... but what does Here Comes the Bride have to do with the story behind Hookin Meh?"

And then when he explain THE CALYSPO to the ARRANGERS (ah had ah BALL): "Essentially, Farmer Nappy’s song is about a man begging his wife/partner not to “mash we ting.” He’s pleading to save the relationship, not making a marriage proposal?"

Well ah hope allyuh eh miss this part: "... we’ll have to ensure there’s a good product going forward and to me there’s a disturbing trend in Panorama which could water down the brandy and make it tasteless over time."

I could suggest another term for "WATERING DOWN THE BRANDY" ... but I will just go back to thIs question the author asked: "but what does Here Comes the Bride have to do with the story behind Hookin Meh?"

• Invaders opened with "Here Comes the Bride" and Renegades used the "Wedding March"

bugs

• Thank you Bugs.

Btw neither are copyrighted.

This reply was deleted.