Keith Diaz, President of Pan Trinbago informed the membership present at the General Meeting held on January 9th, that the NCC [National Carnival Commission] will not be providing the facilities for the 2014 Panorama Greens. Pan Trinbago will have the responsibility of the construction of these facilities. He also indicated that the cost of this construction will be “Only Two Million Dollars”.

Sir, “ONLY TWO MILLION DOLLARS”???

Three pertinent questions Mr President:
[1] How was this “Only Two Million Dollars” arrived at?
[2] When did Pan Trinbago send out Tenders for the construction of the Panorama Greens 2014?
[3] Who won this contract at the price of “Only Two Million Dollars”?

The Local and Global Pan communities still await the Accounts/ Profit and Loss Statement of the 2013 Panorama Greens. You seem to be HELL bent on constructing the 2014 Greens [the proverbial cash cow]. Therefore Sir, can you please explain where the money will come from, since this would not have been in your budget estimates which was submitted in March 2013?

How is it so easy that you can find “Only Two Million Dollars” to construct the 2014 Panorama Greens facilities while the winners of Pan is Beautiful XII 2013 Steelband Festival [concluded since November 2013] are yet to receive their $2.4 Million Dollars in prize monies?

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why don't Pan Trinbago put out some tenders on how to handle this situation, please ?
  • What I don’t understand, why make this an issue for the membership? May be the NCC is telling Diaz this is his responsibility. May be Diaz is using this an excuse to tell them why they will be short-change this Panorama.

Like Kitchener would say…More MoneyThan Sense…..http://youtu.be/Yxs0GG2nWfc

• The President must be accountable to the membership! So it is an issue for the membership!

• I can't understand How Keith Diaz is not Prosecuted for his nefarious actions against Pantrinbago and the Goverment. Every year he robs them blind coming up with all kind of outrageous figures to get the Government to subsidy Pantrinbago every year He claims that Pantrinbago is in the Red. This year He comes up with a new Scheme to Rob Panmen their hard earned monies. He is a Bandit at Large constantly robbing the Coffers of Pantrinbago. This Man should be in Jail. Some one Contact the DPP in Trinidad and let them know about Him. Keith Diaz is to Pan as what Jack Warner is to Football.
    • Valentine,

What we ought to be ashamed about is that Lawyers, Judges and Politicians allow these people to do what they do with tax payers money. 

• 2 million,5 million,10 million should not be really be the concern.The concern should be what/percentage of profit are the benefits to be derived from the expenditure.Some would always be for, and some would always be against the "Greens". One can correctly argue that it takes away from the true Pan lover Panorama experience,but hasn't the present "Greens crowd" been the reality in the North Stands for umpteen years,they are just there for the lime.....Not everyone who comes to "Semis" is a pan lover per se....like it or not,that's a reality that one's opinion cannot change.....

I just see it as exploiting an opportunity to generate finances that should be used to,let's say, develop the drum factory,or/and continue work on the unsightly structure that's supposed to be the world's Pan headquarters,or funding needed research on pan history,or any other worthwhile endeavour. I have read others disdain for the "Greens" and that's quite alright with me...each one is entitled to an opinion.I leave my concerns with (as someone noted) with the tender processes,the accounting and the uses of the moneys generated.

At this time,I cannot venture one solitary idea to generate the quantum of moneys the "Greens" can generate on "Semi-Finals" day for Pantrinbago......so,once the venture does not interfere with the performances of the steelbands ( as many of the North Stand rhythm crews were guilty of doing ), and there is proper accounting,and the benefits redounds to the whole pan fraternity, I cannot give this venture, a thumbs down.   

• Thanks for your comment, and it is noted, but the real issue here Sir is how did the President of Pan Trinbago come up with this figure to construct the Greens 2014? Where did this figure come from? Where is the money coming from to build it, and who is/are the contractors? It would seem that the President has already worked out all the details and it is a BIG secret from the membership of Pan Trinbago! Where is the Transparency?

• Bertel

Forgive me if I drifted away from the question in my attempt to give my outlook at this burning and emotional 'Greens" issue,but I stated   "so,once the venture does not interfere with the performances of the steelbands ( as many of the North Stand rhythm crews were guilty of doing ), and there is proper accounting,and the benefits redounds to the whole pan fraternity, I cannot give this venture, a thumbs down."

"I leave my concerns with (as someone noted) with the tender processes,the accounting and the uses of the moneys generated."

......sorry ,I should have said,as Bertel noted. 

I do agree that your concerns are legitimate and PT executive has to supply clear answers.

• Thanks Sir for your reply. I just thought that regardless of the income benefits that the Greens would/could bring into the pockets ( and I use pockets deliberately) of Pan Trinbago, we all should not fall asleep as to the process of acquiring these benefits, and that it should be as Transparent as possible for all to see! 

• BG

Again,I totally agree!

This reply was deleted.