Replies

• Any more voters out there, time is running out?
  • I just placed my vote and so far Sonatas has 82 votes. I am sure there is more than 82 Sonata fan out there. Where is everyone, Sonatas need your votes so please place your votes
  • Wether you love it or hate it Your band and country need you

To vote, click on this URL and follow the instructions: http://www.panorama-worldcup.com/
    This may seem like a popularity contest, but all four bands deserve to win.. But there can be only 1...
  • Keep the votes coming in, so far 1,404 have voted.
  • I do not like this voting process of selecting a winner. It reduces this "world cup" to a popularity stunt - with bands and their leaders becoming more of an "election campaign manager" soliciting votes from an electoral public. I agree that the public should have some say in who the winner should be, but not the exclusive, final and somewhat bias say as this method is yielding. Unless this is a popularity contest.

Hopefully, in the future, there can be a competent team of judges/experts from all the continents who are willing to lend their expertise in selecting an overall champion - similar to how the grammys or oscars and similar awards are handed out (Even though those awards are almost a popularity contest too, experts do have a major say) with one significant difference - all the experts should be accessible by the general public through a forum such as this to support their choices.

Nonetheless, easier said than done, so for what it is worth congratulations to "Vine" and his pan cafe team and gospel pan for making this production possible.
    • To be fair, you raise an important point. Voting is hard to look and act fair
      Also the amount of criticism thrown our way is plentiful.
      But I can handle it..

first of all i have never heard of a panorama that is fair ANYWHERE. There is never a runaway winner.. Music and sport differ, because in music comps the best don't always win..

Secondly this whole process was nothing more than a bit of fun for christmas, that is why i did it in this format, a bit of friendly spirit and banter.. Because remember this after the year is over what happens to all this fantastic music.. Not much really

SO KEEP VOTING................. BAH HUMBUG
      • Yea Pan Cafe,
        I hear ya -- but when the winner is decided...they will have the title "Voted best Panorama Steelband (2009) in the World by WST members."

That is a significant statement yea? And even though it is all in the fun of Christmas -- there will be some kind of "lasting" effect...
        • Good points,

it's never a good idea to use music to compete because it's not sensible, however it is what it is. What we have done is we've given pan folks the opportunity to say, "forget the judges, let us be the judge". It finally gives us a measuring rod of what the people think as a whole instead of what the judges think and although it's a fun event, it gives an accurate view of what pan folks on this board think.

LET THE VOTING CONTINUE.
          • Interesting concept GospelPan, but you didn't say "forget the judges". You and the other promoters appealed to the tribal nature of pan. You didn't say "vote for best sounding band from a musical perspective regardless of your affiliation." And that I found very very disappointing.

What if there are a thousand fans for bands A and only two fans for band B, but band B is clearly the musically superior band - where in your promotion do you call for the best band to win?

I'm not feeling this competiton. And there no such thing as just fun in pan when you use words like "panorama".

bugs
            • I want to answer this one

Hey Bugs, Merry Xmas

As Pan Players and Lovers which we all are, Why shouldn't we have a chance to have a say?
              Then what is best sounding band?... Music, Who decides that... Tuning, Who Decides That... Popularity, again who decides that..
              at the moment 2-4 people do and we have to accept that....

Ok then if band A has a thousand voters and band B has 2, band A wins, simple...

All 4 bands won their respective panorama's and to me they are all brilliant pieces of music.. do you agree or not?????

I have played many panorama's and had fun in all of them, of that i will not apologise. Panorama is just that FUN..

last but not least, i would love to know how we could get yourself to feel this competition or get involved for next year, because there is something on the tip of your tongue that can make this even better..

Thanks for that my friend

Vine
This reply was deleted.