Panyards of our future

by Dara E. Healy

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. -  THE STEEL PAN, forged in the fires of resistance and struggle, is still not fully accepted in the land that created it. After decades of innovation and global recognition we are yet to achieve what Pat Bishop called the magical aspirations of pan. Why?

The country that gave the world the only percussive instrument of the 20th century has still not carved out a space for the panyard. We have created a powerful instrument but have yet to access its power. Now that covid19 is forcing governments to reset socioeconomic policies, what role will our national instrument play in TT’s recovery?

See more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• An excellent article, but the most if the pan inventions were actually patented by the inventors. That is why the Whytmire-Price attempt to do so failed.  

• Ah going and get in trouble THIS MORNING!!! I read this article and resisted the TEMPTATION. But what the hell!!!

We have had ENOUGH IVORY TOWER articles, essays, books, blueprints, symposiums and the works ON PAN. We need people who CAN DO like the INVENTORS of the INSTRUMENT DID ... BOTTOM UP instead of TOP DOWN.

Take a look at what WHEN STEEL HAS DONE. And take a look at what SIMEON SANDIFORD has done!!! And take a look at what people like AINSWORTH MOHAMMED (ah have to call AINSWORTH MOHAMMED NAME TWICE MORE: AINSWORTH MOHAMMED!!! AINSWORTH MOHAMMED!!!) and BERTEL GITTENS and AQUIL ARRINDELL and ODW and GLENROY JOSEPH are DOING FOR PAN -- from the BOTTOM UP without DIRECTION from an IVORY TOWER.

Ah better stop here!!!

• Thanks for this instructive statement on the Panyard. As suggested by Lloyd Best the Panyard needs to be developed as a community institution serving multiple needs in addition to providing opportunities for music and innovation of the instrument created from the bowels of these communities. All who aspire to be leaders in the Pan community have to internalize this perspective. They need to frame their plans and activities to reflect a future that encompasses all efforts to achieve the broadest use of this community space that produced scientific innovation, musical genius and committed community leaders.       

This reply was deleted.