When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

PARTY START for Phase II -- Boogsie breaks promise to play Professor's Pan By Storm

Newsday January 12, 2019

Joan Rampersad

We are confident of victory in 2019 -- says BOOGSIE!!!

Read More

Views: 1059

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PAN TRINBAGO AND THE SOCIAL CONFLICT SURROUNDING
PHASE II’S PANORAMA PERFORMANCE OF 2011

In 2011, Len “Boogsie” Sharpe composed a calypso entitled “Do Something for Pan,” in
which he ultimately criticizes the president of Pan Trinbago, Keith Diaz, urging that he do
something positive for Trinidad’s steelpan culture and community. This critique arose as a result
of controversial rumors about Pan Trinbago’s president, specifically regarding his misappropriation of the organization’s funds. Later, Boogsie arranged this calypso for the Panorama competition, implicitly levying a strong critique of Diaz and Pan Trinbago. The controversy and discourse caused by this event in Panorama’s history will be central to my discussion and analysis. Not only will I focus on the public discourse and reception of the landmark composition "Do Something for Pan," but I will also provide a case study of musical agency, and nationalist opportunities. In addition, I will explore the relationship between Sharpe and Diaz, and examine the political and musical institutions in this competitive environment.

https://diginole.lib.fsu.edu/islandora/object/fsu:183736/datastream...

By
MIA K. GORMANDY
A Thesis submitted to the
College of Music
in partial fulfillment of the
requirements for the degree of
Master of Music
Degree Awarded:
Spring Semester, 2013

Phase II Pan Groove - More Love (Slow)

Phase II - Jump High

2014 Steelband Panorama Champions

Phase II - More Love

Panorama Champions 2013 Arranger Len 'Boogsie' Sharpe

Swappi & Ultimate Rejects - Party Start "2019 Soca" (Trinidad)

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service