By Aquil Arrindell

Lastly, last year’s pan camp did not adequately attract sponsorship and we were not able to pay the tutors. However, the same tutors came back despite that, with the knowledge that it may be the same this year. There are always the other options that some of the other youths in the pan yard take every holiday which is work at grocery stores, book stores, “take a look inside” stores, clothing stores etc.  However, Kenlica Boswell, Asia Richardson, Lexine Lambert and Jorder Lewis, the pan camp tutors of 2018, understand the need for personal sacrifice to help our nation’s children so they committed themselves to accept that responsibility. I am proud of them and I think we as a nation should “Catch them when they are good” and applaud them for their efforts. I urge you all to make a contribution and if there is anyone who would be interested in contributing towards paying their stipends, feel free to make the connection. I must make mention of Councillor Parris who is not our councillor but frequents our pan yard and shows a genuine interest as children from his constituency are beneficiaries of our programs. Also Ms. Kelly Richardson for being the art tutor regardless of pay.

I am calling on our councillor, whom I have never seen since she was elected into office, to show some interest. To Mayor Junior Regrello and Minister Kazim Hosein, please help, as San City is the only steel band within the purview of a corporation and by extension local government, which the corporation’s workers benefit from. The assistance of the Minister of Community Development and Youth and Gender Affairs is requested as this is a cultural program engaging youths, some who have had physical and mental challenges. I am calling on Ministers Faris Al-Rawy and Randall Mitchell, as it is your constituencies we in San City culturally enrich. I am calling on the Prime Minister, Dr. Keith Rowley to take notice because pan camps in south are dying away because of a lack in finance. The bands who are still at it are doing so with minimal resources and may not be able to continue in the near future.

I am making an appeal to you and our nation to please invest in the youths to catch them before they go bad and not after the fact, because by then it would be gross waste of tax payers’ dollars. My number is 727 8203 and Asia Richardson’s is 374 6185. San City remains focused and asks you to help us help others.

Yours truly             

Aquil Arrindell

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Black Stalin - Nobody Cares

• Steelband music is our culture, noise is not. There are talkers and there are Do-ers! Not to be confused with Dewars the scotch whiskey.

Aquil, as an activist for change and whatever political desires that persons on this WST family Ole Talk network may or may not have in your suitability for service to office at the Pan Trinbago elections, whenever that time comes; know this for now and the future, let your works and that of San City continue to speak for themselves. Great story. Strong testimonial of your orchestra's tenacity, similar to a country band's that made it to  2018 finals (doh crucify me I ain't calling no names)

Continue to think globally and act locally in continuing with your activism, time, money, energy and resources with your orchestra so collectively we can get along to move along and let the jackasses bray,..who feels it knows it......and since we keeping it lite fellas...who de cap fit..finish it fuh meh nuh Claude....

• Carnival is a money making time, only few participate. creating a role for steelbands in carnival is vital..

• I am convinced that if all steel bands become financially independent of the state and the handouts they will be much better off. There is nothing better than to be able to do your own fishing when all the oceans are your fishing grounds. No gimme gimme there, only plenty of all kinda food!

This reply was deleted.