Congrats to CASYM Steel Orchestra on capturing the 2013 NY Panorama crown...

1.   481 - CASYM
2.   470 - Sonatas
3.   469 - D'Radoes
4.   467 - Pan Fantasy
5.   464 - Despers USA
6.   462 - ADLIB
7  . 450 - Pantonic
8.   433 - Crossfire
8.   433 - Harmony
10. 418 - Metro

click for results breakdown

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are we ever going to witness an International Panorama or perhaps the winner of each Panorama in a respective year performing/competing on neutral grounds or world stage??  Cah wait 4 dat!!!!

• Right here in Trinidad, I had to do that, faced with the challenge. Then again with Sonatas in NY, though for my second year with Sonatas, we discovered a set of pans that I was able to set-up in a way that I was more accustomed to ... btw, talking about the tenor bass. It may take me a couple of practices to adjust but I have seen GOOD pannists adjust immediately. Hopefully ah getting there, haha! But I hear you and agree that the standardizing of pans must make it easier for ALL.
      • So many arguments FOR and AGAINST standardized pan competitions. The idea needs to be tested on a small scale. Like maybe an exhibition/competition with just about five bands and twenty players each. The issues will rise to the surface and people could start debugging the inherent problems.

• Your response noted Mr Lopez. Though the standardizing would be a great help incl the minimizing of costs associated with transporting etc, there are those pannists who prefer to play their personal pan/pans, which would not be too much of a prob where single pans are concerned. The event could still happen bfo pans are standardized, since a good Pannist can adjust quickly to pans that are set up differently. Guess you and others may still view it as a disadvantage.
      • A Good Panist can adjust to Pans that are set up differently BUT NOT A WHOLE LOT can do it, I can't, Can you? 

• Annette, It can happen if they Standardize Pan

• Congratulations to all the bands!
  • Congratulations to the bands that performed and to the winners. I did say upfront that there were champion arrangers in the fray who were up for the challenge. They came in 1st, 3rd and 4th. It does not however take away from Seion and Andre who are also champion in their own right. So, well done Duvone, BJ, Al Foster. Special congratulations go out to Sonatas for their creditable performance. I hope this placing serves as a catalyst to elevate the band to the premier status which it once held. I also want to congratulate  the young Franklyn and commend him. He has places to go with his arrangements. In part, I detect that unique Desperadoes sound that was so prevalent in years gone by. Again, heartiest congratulations to all the arrangers and all the performers. 

• Congratulations to Casym on their 5th Brooklyn Panorama victory. This year Mr. Duvone Stewart's arrangement & Casym became the first team to amass over the 460's, scoring 481 marks, the highest in the history of Brooklyn Panorama.

Casym is now the leading NY Panorama Steel Orchestra in "this century" with their 5 wins, and the only band that has been in the top-three 12 times in 13 entries.

Kudos also to Sonatas and Leon "foster" Thomas for their 2nd place finish. Sonatas is still the most successful Brooklyn Steel Orchestra with 25 top-three in the last 32 Panoramas, amassing 10-victories, 6-2nds and 9-3rds.

Shout out also to D'Radoes and Terrance "BJ" Marcelle for their third, 3rd place.

Special Kudos to Pan Fantasy's 4th place; they came all the way from Canada.

Kudos also to Despers USA and my nephew, Odie, the only American arranger in the top five in 2013 (lol).

Andre White and Adlib were the only team that placed in the top-three from 2007 to 2012, but this year they were not that fortunate. 

Just some more history: 2013 is also the first year that the first 4 Steel Orchestras performed the same piece, Super Blue's "Fantastic Friday" and 7 of the arrangers now have a combined total of 36 pan victories world wide.

Duvone now has 11, BJ has 10, Seion has 6, Andre has 5, Eddie has 2, Odie has 1 and                                         Foster won the 2002 Pan Is Beautiful Soloist Category in 2002. See you all next year.

• Hey Ian, how many players did each of the other bands have?

This reply was deleted.