Replies

• I don't know what Dasie James played in 1946,that's 3 years before my time. This post should be a closed issue, let's move on.

• This is an old post. I solved the riddle last year when I went to Radio Trinidad. The tune was CALL OF THE KISKIDEE, composed by Umilta Mc Shine.

• Was Kiskidee the song played by Daisy James in 1946?

• Anyone  known what song Daisy James played and won the Soloist Competition in 1946?

• Francis Ormand "Patsy" Haynes was from Casablanca. On this early "ping pong" tenor soloist read Les Slater in Pan, Fall 1987, Vol 2. No.1 reprinted recently in When Steel Talks.
    • Someone must have this archived somewhere in/outside of T&T...  When it's found please give us a link to the audio track...  Must say, it's an interesting twist on the mix up with the two "intros" for the main radio stations back then...  Some say the Yellow Bird or Ti Zwazo was actually the Kizkidee (creole for ... qu'est ce qu'il dit)https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2534462%3ATopic%...
  • Paddy the Radio Trinidad tune is a given.. Call of the Kiskidee and the composer Umilta Mc Shine. The other part I guess Ellie will know
  • Folks, I learnt the tune and played it over the phone for my sister a former Radio Trinidad announcer back then and the retired librarian.They both new what I was talking about and actually hummed the tune.I was referred to Winston Maynard and the retired Edison Carr. I spoke to them individually and they both confirmed the tune was CALL OF THE KISKIDEE, composed by UMILTA Mc SHINE., so I believe we have solved what was a very interesting historical pan topic.

Someone mentioned that Radio Guardian signed on with Yellow Bird.Kitch made a nice composition with the chorus,

RADIO GUARDIAN, OUTA D BLUE...610 IS CALLING YOU...AND IF YUH STILL LAY DOWN LIKE YUH DEAD...TRINIDAD GO PING PONG YOU OUT YUH BED...then he proceeded to do a mouth pan solo.

• I think the steelpan solo Hameed is searching for info on was Radio Trinidad 730AM (back of TTT, back in the day) a.k.a. Rediffusion Radio...

Now Radio Guardian 610AM if I remember went on air with Yellow Bird...

• Thank you all very much, the response and information so far is overwhelming and want tp publicly thank Glenford who I ask the question and he encourage to make this post.

Best Regards

This reply was deleted.