A When Steel Talks Exclusive

Global - In this exclusive interview with When Steel Talks, champion arranger Ray Holman provides a frank and honest assessment of the current state of the steelpan movement in Trinidad & Tobago, its past, its growth, struggles and current state of affairs. Who is responsible? Moreover, Ray provides some salient points on the potential way forward.
click for interview

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Starlift - Tenor Bass (slow version)

• Ray Holman - First Love

• Just some more Pan Trivia on Mr. Ray Holman.

Ray is the only arranger that qualified a band for the first Panorama in 1963 and also qualified another band 50 years later. He is also the only arranger to qualify 8 different Steel orchestras in all 6 decades of the panorama finals.                                                                                                                                                                    The 1960's: STARLIFT in1963.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    The 1970's: PANDEMONIUM in 1976.                                                                                                                                                                   The 1980's: EXODUS in 1987 & INVADERS in 1989.                                                                                                                                                                   The 1990's: TOKYO in 1991, HUMMINGBIRDS in 1992 & PHASE II in 1994.                                                                                                                                                                   The 2000's: STARLIFT in 2006.                                                                                                                                                                   The 2010's: SKIFFLE in 2013

Ray's record for decades consistency can only be broken in 2060 or much, much later. This means that who ever that person may be is now in single digits or is not yet born (lol)

• Well Done My Bro. Ian. He also Composed and Arranged For Carib Tokyo in 1988 With My Band Placing 4th in the Finals.

• Yes Val,

I should have listed 1988 instead of 1991. Thanks

• Ray should be given a knighthood. Sir Ray!

• Thanks Mr. Ray Holman for your honesty and progressive ideas. Your sentiments are shared by many of us in the pan diaspora. Your modesty did not allow you to say that, you are also the only arranger to make the first 11 panorama finals, also the first to place in the top-three on your first attempt at arranging your composition, the first to place two different Steel Orchestras in the top-three at different panoramas. Good luck to you, Junia and Skiffle.
  • Great Interview...I am glad that Ray is looking at things differently because that is exactly what the Panorama needs. I can't wait to hear the finished arrangement...wish I was in TnT to hear it live.

GP

• The man and his music, talent, the gift, for this I am proud to be a friend of  the greatest arranger, pannist of "the world of steel pan." Many countries and various musicians have discovered and toured with our "pan, "its very sad at times to exchange conversations with many players from these bands who have no idea how and when and where, the origins of this great instrument, its walk through the years, the fantasies of many. Ok, we must share for the growth, in some way we need to have the word out there, like the Jimi Hendricks of the guitar, Bob Marley the reggae, sax,  jazz even the salsa and samba, each has their tale and history repeated throughout the memoirs and the DJ's who continue their discussion and learned voices to not only share the history but promote these talents and instruments.

We are now featured in so many ads on TV and the airwaves, BUT no one introduces or refers to the Enchanting Caribbean Island of Trinidad, where this great instrument and its talents reign. Too late? NEVER!! Congrats Ray H., your legend and talents are known, all the very best for Panorama 2013! 50YEARS, Wow!

• Great interview. I hope that the Powers that be take cognisance of some of the changes Mr. Holman thinks should be implemented with Panorama. I am waiting with bated Breath to hear this piece for 2013 called The Dream. I wish the Band the best of luck with their new arranger Master Ray Holman.

This reply was deleted.