Up until a couple of weeks ago,there was a pan program for three hours on WACK Radio 90.1 FM from Trinidad. The show was Pan IN Yuh Pfume [spelling?] hosted by Steve Sealy, the show was a mixture of steelband music interviews and they took calls, I looked forward to this time on a Sunday when I could tune-in and get a bit of sunshine from T&T. After inquiring why WACK remove the program I found out that a radio station in New York bought that time slot. I know that money talks but I find it troubling that WACK removed a program that people from all over the world called in to and replaced it with one similar to the what they do. The new program doh say to much,  I think WACK is about to find out the power of the pan. I don't tune in anymore.  

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• wack is "QWACK," ALLYUH AINT SEE THAT YET? THEY JOIN THE BANDWAGON OF FRIENDLY ENEMIES, GOOD RIDDANCE.

• Glenroy:

Pan is my thing. To avoid this nonsense and wasting time with this type of nonsense in the future, I am suggesting  that Pan Times or When Steel Talks  do like Iwer George did with calypso/soca music.  Secure a radio station and only play PAN MUSIC.

• It is a disappointment that Pan in Your Pweffen was cancelled. Most of the writers here are correct to challenge the thinking of WACK's management and the decision. However, the umbrella organizations of many of our art and culture forms have been born and bred on the "hand-out," "bail-out," and "free-ness" syndrome. Pan Trinbago was willing to participate in the program and contribute if money was not involved - a free ride-.

If Pan Trinbago was/is not willing, then perhaps all sponsored bands could contribute and share the cost of purchasing the time allocated for the program. Similarly, one or two companies/businesses could underwrite the cost of sponsorship. Regardless, sponsorship should not mean ownership or censorship of content.   

• If you have enough money, you can destroy a culture...I am not surprised that WACK removed Pan in yuh pweffen because in the end, it's all about the money NOT the culture.

WACK....."We Are Culture Krazy"...seems to have less value now doesn't it?

Such a shame because I really liked Steve's show...I guess I won't be calling in on a Sunday anymore.

GP

• You can't blame WACK - they have bills to pay, but maybe their front office personnel should work harder to find local sponsors to buy the air time...

Is Pan Trinbago not wanting to support a radio station whose mission is to promote local culture? We have enough other stations pushing every other type of entertainment rather than local.

I'm based in Florida and appreciate Steve's passion & WACK's mission - come on WACK we must do better.

• Pan is now the perfect Political Football.......and WACK is now the center forward....

• What ever the reason for a pan program to be scrapped is unfortunate. Pan deserves better.. treatment and respect.I am inviting everyone to tune to my program on ZOOMRADIO.COM  ..streaming live... Pan Expression... every Sunday 6-9pm....and give your feed back...It will certainly be a greatly appreciated.

• Pan doh put no money in dey pocket.. but to have that tasteless show on a Sunday afternoon? I listened to WACK because it bought a little bit of home to my home on a Sunday. Because I had an open mind, I listened for a bit on the first Sunday and got really turned off by the American Goose telling me what was going on in Brooklyn. 

• Based on this discussion so far, I can't say that I have a problem with WACK; they're business people and they made a business decision.

I do have a problem however , with the steelband authorities (and the calypsonians for that matter) who haven't yet figured out that their art forms need regular primetime representation on T&T media, even if they have to purchase that time.

Free media time is great - support the culture and all that - but nothing will guarantee regular, consistent airing of our music and culture on T&T media  than paying for it.

Steelband and calypso organizations  should use their resources to pay for some of these programs, as part of their responsibilities for promoting the art forms.

There are numerous media outlets in T&T, and I'm sure reasonable deals could be made

This reply was deleted.