Renegades files an injunction against Pantrinbago

BP Renegades files an injunction against Pantrinbago

Wednesday, 23 February 2011

By Jamaal Greenidge

...reigning champions Silver Stars and Phase Two Pan Groove were the leaders.

BP Renegades says the noise from the north stand during the panorama semi-finals affected its performance. The band has now filed an injunction against Pantrinbago, saying it failed to ensure conditions were right and fair for the competition last Sunday.

Pantrinbago says it has received the legal document and has passed it on to its lawyers. According to the band’s President, the DJ music played at the venue caused disorientation and band members were at a loss. BP Renegades failed to make it into the finals. National Carnival Commission Chairman Kenny De Silva yesterday Pantrinbago was responsible for that aspect of the event.

While BP Renegades did not make it to the finals, reigning champions Silver Stars and Phase Two Pan Groove were the leaders.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am not a Renegades member or supporter, but I am amazed at the amount of hatred being vented against an organization that has contributed so much to the art form over the years. It seems pan as a movement has not come as far along from the days of violent clashes as many would think. Lest the hatred be turned against me now, let me not say anymore.
    • I understand DJ. Ever heard of the adage "No one stones a barren tree"? Well it's very applicable in this case. The bark on Renegades' laden tree  has many scars from decades of stone pelters all in the hope of getting some of their fruit.
      • i also don't get all the negativity....  it's not about renegades alone - it is about THE PRINCIPLE of standing up for what's right for ALL the bands.

So, here we have Renegades speaking up and standing up - doing something for pan - .... so why then are they immediately downtalked for doing so?  and by the very same people who also talk about 'do something for pan?" 

this IS doing something for pan -- by putting it on blast that this kind of crap is bad for ALL bands.

• Catt this is a classic case of the "crabs in a barrel syndrome". This Renegades episode really exposed a lot people and what really motivates them.  Any person in pan who could not see how this move by Renegades was necessary and benefits all the bands, is short sited and frankly, not ready for anything beyond a local event. The Renegades move also showed that Pan Trinbago cannot represent the interest of the steelbands. It is nothing more than an undercover wing for the Trinidad government and big business.  The organization has too many masters and is compromised.

The behavior at the semi finals has been a shameful black eye for the steelpan music art form and any self respecting performing artist for years now.  Pan Trinbago has conveniently covered the nastiness and disrespect that has gone on there knowingly.  That there are many members of the Trinidad and Tobago steelpan community exhibiting the "battered wife syndrome" is to be expected but certainly not tolerated.

bugs

• Whilst I agree with you totally, I must commend you for being "charitable", for example  "Pan Trinbago has conveniently covered the nastiness and disrespect that has gone on there knowingly."

These people boldfacedly looked at a judge denied and lied about their non-involvement, encouragement and responsibility for the DJs and the staged concert on the greens..............and Madame Justice bought it.

That makes Pan Trinbago's board a bunch of liars and as the Good Book says 'a brood of vipers'.

As to the "many members of the Trinidad and Tobago steelpan community exhibiting the battered wife syndrome is to be expected but certainly not tolerated" , a poignant analogy indeed.

How much better would it have been had the Northern Bands, at least, come together as one voice on Feb 21st and stated that they would not perform at the Finals unless Renegades were immediately reinstated in light of the undisputed evidence. That, in my view, would have been the most effective  "injunction" by Panmen against the 'governing body' for Pan.  

• What a wonderful idea, albeit a tad late! 

That would certainly have demonstrated "How we coming", and would have undoubtedly manifested the integrity and character of, not just the Northern Bands, but the entire pan fraternity.

Thanks to this "brood of vipers", regardless of the winner of Panorama 2011, the only tune echoing now is "Skullduggery coming dong".

A Panorama Final without Renegades — Unfathomable!! ... cheups...

• Its amazing to see that so many people who claim to have love for our National Instrument let their personal bias against Renegades get in the way of principle
  • Noise Notwithstanding.......In Leon's letter (Renegades Player), he states that the 120 players were affected by the delay......is it not 100 players in the Semis and 120 in the Finals? Careful!
    • no its not it is 100 for Prelims and 120 for both semis and finals
  • hey RENEGADES give it up this year alyuh just didn't cut it disoriented or not try again next year like the rest of bands that didn't make it steuuuups

This reply was deleted.