When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Condolences to his family and friends.

Views: 5416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have just returned to the country and am now viewing my email, only to hear of Brown's passing.  What a shock, even though we at Tropical Angel Harps knew that he was having some health challenges. I am immediately drawn to the year 1986 when as Manager of the El Dorado Comprehensive School Steel Orchestra I approached Brown to make a full complement of pans for the band, having had the knowledge of his skill from being a player with the Tropical Angel Harps Steel Orchestra.  That same year El Dorado won the school music festival and earned itself a trip to France and of course, we took Brown with us.  I recall that many people came up to us and asked who had made the pans for the band and after that there were long lines waiting on Brown for his exquisite musical instruments. He will be sorely missed not only for his talent but because he was a man committed to family, friends and his work.  It must make us wonder what we could have done to keep him here longer, but if the ancestors have signalled that it is time for his spiritual rest, then so be it.  Condolences to his family and those who came to know him very closely.  He gave us his soul through the music which his pans made possible.  

Would love to know if Indigisounds (or anyone else) captured the Guppy Tones???

Condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Herman "Guppy" Brown on behalf of DESPERADOES STEEL ORCHESTRA.

I was fortunate to have been introduced to Mr. Brown by fellow tuner, Mr. Gerard Clarke, three years ago.

The first time I touched pans with the name "Guppy" etched on the surface, I said these pans sound like bells, I did not know how else to describe the tone that was emanating and making my eardrums happy. 

Heartfelt condolences to the Brown family on your loss. Guppy was a master panmaker and longtime friend. May his soul rest in peace. Jah guides.

So sad to hear the news of going home of one of the best of our, T&T,greatest and innovative tuners, There comes a time when Our Father is ready for each of us to leave this earth and continue our journey with him. I had the honor of knowing Guppy as a very young man growing up in Success Village Laventille.As I was growing up I played with the Chase Manhattan Savoys and our pan tent was just a stone throw away from where he started tuning and had their family Steelband on Pashley street in Laventille.I often use to go and listen to them play and was amazed by the work he was doing as a young man tuning the steelpan. He must be remembered as a Pioneer and I know he will be surely missed by many all over the world. His work and his instruments is all over the world and he left a legacy. I give my uttermost respect and my condolences to his family and I know he will be resting in peace for he has gone home to be with the Father."R.I.P. in Peace Herman Guppy Brown

One of the greatest pan makers/tuners EVER!  RIP Guppy

Condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Brown. May he rest in peace.

This is indeed the most shocking news I've read in ages. I hope that all those who especially owns a Guppy Tenor treasures it.

Deepest Condolences go out to the Brown Family. Rest In Peace dear friend, Guppy!!!!!!!

God's speed Mr. Guppy... this news rocked us all at T&TEC Tropical Angel Harps....we will certainly miss you popping in and out our practice sessions...with your trademark cream cap.....returning pans that were tuned  and collecting others to be tuned  ...our condolences are extended to your family from us at T&TEC  Tropical Angel Harps ....

.....thank you Mr. Guppy for the 6 bass I presently play.....I will treasure it.....

Condolences to Guppy's family....he will be missed. God rest his soul.

Another master goes home taking his skill with him. May he rest in peace and rise in the promise 

Condolences to the family. I met Herman in his panyard and had a 1 hour conversation with him about pan. This was a unforgettable conversation where I experienced firsthand the care he places on making a pan and the friendliness he showed towards me in general. We'll miss him very much, but his legacy will live on. RIP Herman.

Mike

RSS

© 2020   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service