…ROBBERY SAYS PHILMORE, EXODUS

Trinidad & Tobago Newsday

By Joan Rampersad

A hurt Philmore told Newsday, “Robbery! They (are) wicked to me after all these years. The problem is I never went to school with those judges. They learnt theory but I learnt it the practical way. None of them represents TT like me. My degree came from God. They could rob me in Panorama but I go places they have not.

“They want me to be like Boogsie (Len Sharpe) cussing people to bring fear but I am a humble man. And I listened to (Massy) All Stars. Same BS every year from All Stars. But when they go home after Panorama, I go first class flying the flag of TT. They are not flying the flag like me. I am fed up. This is pure robbery.”...

... There was a three-way tie for third place, with the judges giving bp Renegades, PCS Nitrogen Silver Stars and Republic Bank Exodus 279 points each. Exodus’ arranger Pellam Goddard told Newsday, he wanted to send Crime Stoppers to the Panorama judges.

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Does 'professor' have a right to his opinion about the judging? Some have judged it a "childish tirade', maybe God should 'judge' that too. Why should any arranger accept the judges decision year after year when judges judge two bands? Like all of you, the 'professor' has every right to voice his opinion.

Who knows? Maybe most of the others feel the same way about the judging, but they are not as willing or bold enough to state their dissatisfaction with said judging.

Kwame wrote: "In all competitions where someone has to judge the outcome, there would be displeasure with the results most instances, fairly or unfairly" If viewed objectively, then it stands to reason that one has a right to voice displeasure with the results, fairly or unfairly.

• P S. I have seen steel Orchestra in Japan. Australia. Switzerland. India.China and there are many more places and also in many University all over North America. DID YOU and Robert made all of. That happen????? A lot of steelband and others who are not looking for bragging rights done so, again it's OK to be angry.
  • Ref to C Francis some of those farts took bands all over the world and not as a single person doing a hustle here and there I said the (WORLD)Continent
    So who is the fart it is OK to be angry but not ignorant
  • YES BOTH  YOU AND ROBERT, WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR T&T SOME OF THESE FARTS WILL NEVER DREAM TO DO, AS A FELLOW PANMAN TEACHING AND PERFORMING.EVERY DAY I WORK IS T&T.

• I really planned to remain silent and just look on this post-panorama season, but I feel I should make these two suggestions. 

1. Pantrinbago should (to protect itself from events like Professor's childish tirade) update its rules to include a disclaimer as it were thus preventing Arrangers and Steelband Officials from making derogatory statements re the competition. Failing which they take whatever action etc. etc. In like manner where bands have to sign off on the total number of players on stage before a performance, they should have bands sign to accepting the judges decision. I have no problem with us here as well wishers, supporters, haters etc…arguing, cussing each other out, but for a competitor to cry foul in any manner is unacceptable.

2. To curb band hopping, no player should be allowed to join another band if he/she has performed with a band that was knocked in a previous round. I can kinda live with a player performing with ONE band in each category, but if your hand gets knocked out, so do you. End of the competition for you.

I know Pan Trinbago don't have the testicular fortitude to even begin to address my suggestions, but I'm making them anyway.

• Merrytones, in relation to the derogatory statements, this rule you propose could be interpreted anyway in the minds of those***** in Pan Trinbago! Do you remember "Do Something For Pan" and the controversy behind Phase11 playing of this tune?! I say leave it just the way it is. Like it or not, we still live in a democracy with freedom of speech that has been guaranteed under our Constitution. Let 'Professor' continue his childish tirade and let God be the judge of his words. Maybe this is why he is where he is.

• I hear you Bertell…but I kinda feel strongly about contestants "bad mouthing" a competition after the fact…so I suppose after the dust has settled, Professor will once again throw his hat in ring with Fonclaire next year?…he can't be serious….

• My position is that I prefer to have a good laugh at 'Professor' and his antics, than to be brutishly victimized by a bunch of power hungry Imps. Believe me, 'Pro' ain't going no where with that!   

• It is okay to be disappointed and also express that feeling, but not by pulling down your competitors, unless you have evidence that they cheated to be successful. I am reminded of the situation when someone writes an exam and is asked how they did, the response goes like this. If it was an "A", the person would say, I got an "A" but if it was anything less than an "A", the response would be 'he/she gave me a "B" or "C". I take the credit for doing well, but somebody else must take it when I do badly. I hope that I have added some light to the discussion. In all competitions where someone has to judge the outcome, there would be displeasure with the results most instances, fairly or unfairly. As I write the Academy Awards is taking place and there would be those who think that the winners are not deserving of such, as has been the case every year. We are all humans and life goes on.

• HI MR. KWAME ALL STARS & PHASE 2 HAVE JUDGES ON THERE SIDE, SOME OF YOU PEOPLE NEED TO WAKE UP THE WRITTING IS ON THE WALL.

This reply was deleted.