San Juan All Stars/Despers Clash was in 1959, What Mas did San Juan All Stars played? I said that they played "Battle Cry" some say that they played "To Hell and Back",

Both Movies were produced in 1955. 

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This begs the question, where were you on the 10 February 1959 at 4:00 O'clock Carnival Tuesday afternoon?

I was hiding in the back yard of 81 Oxford Street (this backs on to La Coure Harpe) opposite St Ann's Church of Scotland where I was christened. By the way I was 9 yrs old.

Those were the days. Thankfully steelband clashes are a thing of the past.

Randi

• I was almost  certain that it was To Hell and Back, .  But then 'Battle Cry' may have been the name of their depiction of war. The Movie Battle Cry with Tab Hunter and Dorothy Malone was popular in the late 50s, as well as Audie Murphy's 'To Hell and Back'. .

However I think that  both 'Battle Cry' and 'To Hell and Back' were names given to war mas played by bands in those days. I was almost sure To Hell and back was SJAS but maybe it was 'Battle Cry' because people lamented that such a great mas never reached the stage and I think that they played 'Return of Battle Cry' some years later.So I may have been wrong  

• Bede;

Seems like you were you in the vicinity since you know what they say.

What was the name of the tune San Juan All Stars was playing at the time?

• the name of the tune was The End sung by Earl Grant, who sounded a lot like Nat King Cole.

"At the end of the river the water {starts]  {stops} its flow" It was very popular tune on radio and also juke boxes as a "tabanka } tune.I spent a lot of time with them on Monday. On Tuesday I was with Cross fire which never reached the city until about 3pm, maybe they heard what had happened.

Teddy Pinheiro

• History said that they were playing "Till the End of the Rainbow" then again maybe it should have been "At the end of The Rainbow"( Earl Grant),  which was a slower tune then they changed it to a Blakie Tune which was more up tempo, (I didn't knew that Blakie used to play Mas with them, I only knew Blakie when he used to play Mas with City Symphony).Its good to have a supporter from San Juan All Stars on these Postings, since we always beating up on them. 

• Correct on "the end"

and correct regarding "Blakie". 

• I am also almost certain it was Earl Grant's 'At the End of the Rainbow'. It was a real sweet tune, signiifying the irony of the clash -- great mas, sweet pan with great arrangement and all to end in bloodshed and fight!

• 1959 San Juan All Stars played Battle Cry, and 1960 they played the Return of Battle Cry. Despers sent a warning to San Juan All Stars not to pass the flyover, but they continued to enter Port of Spain, and a Police contingent followed San Juan All Stars all through Port of Spain until they exited Port of Spain on their way back to San Juan.

• 1960, San Juan All Stars played "FLOUR BAG SAILOR"

1961, USS CORN BLACK

1962 , RETURN OF BATTLE CRY

In 1960 we returned to Port of Spain. Played Flour Bag Sailor" all over town, without Despers in sight.

• 1960, San Juan All Stars played "FLOUR BAG SAILOR"

1961, USS CORN BLACK

1962 , RETURN OF BATTLE CRY

This reply was deleted.