Trinidad Express Newspapers

PROUD MOM: Panwoman Patrice Charles with her twin children, Deja, left, and Dejean Cain.

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. -  Twin brother and sister Dejean and Deja Cain are young, timid and small in size; but don’t let that fool you.

These youngsters already have a talent that can rival that of their adult counterparts. At just 11 years of age, this musical duo from Success Village, Laventille, have mastered the pan, winning hearts and titles across the country. As the children of WITCO Desperadoes frontman Martin Cain and panwoman Patrice Charles, it is not surprising that the siblings followed in their parents’ footsteps and developed an interest in the national instrument at a very early age.

“They started playing at around three years old,” a proud Charles said. “From the time they could hold sticks, they’ve been playing pan.”

So intrigued were they by the instrument, that by the time they were four years old, they could already play the national anthem.

It takes them just two or three days to learn to play a new song, said their mother.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Enjoyed reading about the twins congrats and keep keeping on.

• This is beautiful.

• A very touching interview. I love it when families do things together. I had the pleasure of coming up against Dejean in the Pan is Beautiful XII soloist category. It seems like the experience served him well because he has grown a lot in that short space of time. Keep up the great work Martin and Patrice. I wish you guys much success as a family and success with the Roadblock School for the Arts.

• The younger the brain the better!
    I am now learning (as a retiree) and even though I love it and intend to master it, it is very challenging...
  • Wow. Simply Awesome!!

This reply was deleted.