The composer derives income from licensing the use of his compositions in performance, publication, and recording. If the orchestras are making (new music) the arrangements popular and desirable world wide, is not fair that a certain percentage of the publishing, performance and recording rights belong to the bands? 

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do the ownership rights go to the arranger or the Band???

These arrangers are not part of a MUSICIANS  UNION.

Reply by Fabien Alfonso yesterday

"Who's responsibility is to ensure compensation is received, the arranger, Pan Trinbago or is the arranger considered an independent contractor?" Once the registered arrangement is recorded, COTT is responsible for collecting the fees associated with the public performance (live or recorded), broadcast and internet airplay of the new arrangement. However, the royalties will be shared between the arranger and the original composer.

• Whatever rights that exist by law or can be arranged by negotiation must be for ALL arrangers and bands, not only the Big 5.

This is an opportunity to settle the questions about rights.
    Pantrinbago should take the lead.

• Absolutely not Mr. Scoon

The Big 5 must take the lead. They have the most to lose. 

Most of the disastrous policies and occurrences to Pan in Trinidad and Tobago can be traced back directly to Pan Trinbago's incompetence and corruption.

Who in the current Pan Trinbago executives has an inkling about the business of music?

bugs

• Bugs...I was planning on not joining this discussion...But yuh force meh han' with this business about "the Big 5 must take the lead"...Since the birth of this Big 5 alliance, what have they done to convince you that they are interested in "taking the lead" where other steelbands are concerned? You sound very typical of the average Trini...Mr Scoon is right ... And whatever we may think or say about Pantrinbago, the welfare of ALL local steel orchestras and in turn arrangers is their responsibility... What "more" do "they" have to lose than any other steelband or arranger?

• Well Merrytones,

A good friend of mind on this forum has reminded me many, many times that cockroach have no business in fowl business. 

However, a look at the recent gangsta regime who ran Pan Trinbago into ill repute would suggest that in matters that disproportionately effect the Big5 and by extension the large band category, they (large bands) should take these matters into their own hands.

To put it bluntly. What performance rights are we talking about for small bands? Not many came to their panorama. Recording rights for small bands? There hasn't been an official release of small band panorama recordings in years. And the Youtube views for small bands are dismal. Publishing rights? I haven't seen anyone asking for a small band rebroadcast. Or college music programs looking for arrangements or new music performed by small bands in panorama?

So Merrytones, you want an organization that is controlled by Single Pan bands and mainly fly-by-night Small Bands, (not to mention 62 million in debt) to negotiate for Big Bands?

I DON'T THINK SO!

bugs

• Oh ho...Ah now remember...We need the Small category so that the crackshots have an resource to make money...Never mind nobody will bother to attend the finals...Once all them Big 5 and other by-the-way crackshots could get fat off the Small bands, all is well...The music?...Naaaahhh!!...Waste ah friggin time...

• See you Mr. Merrytones and this crackshots business, that is a different agency and grievance. 

That involves collective barging and big, big agents and lawyers. Ask Russel Providence to speak to this matter. Not me. That is concussion and bus head area.

bugs

• Let me apologize to followers of this so important thread for deviating into other areas...but then again the crackshot issue is one important reason why steelbands may refuse to grasp the importance of copyright protection.

To make a long story short, the only importance of Small bands to Panorama is the steady stream of available players for the larger bands. If it wasn't obvious before, this year has shown it quite clearly. As it stands now in Panorama a player can perform with a band in each category. The real impact of that decision is the Smaller bands are now ripe for picking by crackshots. They have no membership to boast of anymore so they need players obviously. Take the once kinda safe Merry Tones. Of the 44 players that represented them up to the semis about twelve were actual band members. The rest were sourced by the arranger. This "rest" was made up of people who in some instances played for 4 and more small and single pan bands as well.

So now we come to the issue at hand. Imagine steelbands now have to pay COTT for use of a tune…Pay an arranger… Pay players of course, added to the myriad of Panorama expenses… Do you think they will readily accept that? I could tell you the answer for free. Even is as you suggest, the Big 5 et al lead the charge because they could afford the extra expense, unless enforced by COTT and the various composers, calypsonians etc., the smaller bands, from Medium down to Single Pan would cringe at the idea, even if it would be to their benefit in the long run.

• So...why have the Small category anyway?...Maybe the Big 5 could answer that too?...If I am an arranger I deserve my work to be protected regardless to what size band I arrange for?...No?

• You are absolutely right Merrytones. Your work should be protected too. However, you have not given a reason why protection for the Big5 will not work for small bands?

The other way around has been abusive.

As per your question about - why have the Small Category - it doesn't make economic sense. And since the bands very rarely move up in categories it's not even an investment the overall development of Panorama business, reality or culture. At best it is a development opportunity for young arrangers and players.

bugs

This reply was deleted.